Wednesday, May 22, 2013

mother's day trip - oak island lighthouse #1

we got to our first destination, the oak island lighthouse right on time for our tour at 12:30.
this lighthouse was built on the cheap in 1958. it only cost $110,000 to build and they mixed the grey, white, and black colors into the concrete so they would never have to repaint it.
 
to cut costs they decided that instead of using the traditional lighthouse spiral stairs, they would use these terrifying ship ladders. that's 131 steps to the top!!!
climbing this thing is a big deal. I had to arrange a special tour to the top (they usually just take people to the second level) and there are all sorts of rules - you must wear tennis shoes, must have both hands free, and you can't carry up purses or anything like that.
 
the pulley thing they used to take oil and supplies to the top.
(i'm not a very technically minded lighthouser)
 the beginning of our tour, happy to have made it. :)
and then we climbed.
I am so terrified of heights that this was probably the scariest physical thing I've ever made myself do. if not the scariest then definitely in the top 5. my palms were sweaty and my heart was racing!
here's the little doorway we used to go outside at the top.
and the views from the top were breathtaking!

everyone was so sweet to me. there were 2 guides and one stayed right behind me the whole time and everyone was very encouraging.
smiling to hide my fear. ;)
 
 I didn't really complain that much, but shelly said that my fear made her nervous. it really was scary!
 laura likes to give me heart attacks!
 woo hoo!
we converted shelly and darlaina and they are now officially lighthouse passport owning, crazy mama's!
 
and my original lighthouse buddy.
what an adventure!!!
but then we had to go back down!!!
the guide had said at the bottom that I should just look forward, not up or down.  I followed his advice to a tee, I was so focused on staying calm and looking straight ahead!
the guide went first and then me. he would tell me as I was getting close to the bottom step and then would count them so I knew where I was. I'm making myself sound like a big baby, but it was really so scary!
it was an amazing experience and I am so glad I did it and I would probably even do it again if someone really wanted me to. after our tour we quickly bought all the souvie's we could handle and then were off to catch our ferry.
and our view of the oak island lighthouse as we ferried away from cedar island.
and lighthouse #1 was successful!
 

No comments: