Thursday, May 23, 2013

mother's day trip - hatteras lighthouse #7

we made it out the the hatteras lighthouse - the tallest brick one in north America - just a few minutes behind our desired time, and that is including the 30 minutes we had to wait for the broken down ferry. :)
this was the first lighthouse we (laura and I) had already climbed.
still good though!
a nice park ranger got down on the ground to take this nice picture of us. totally worth it, right?
laura tried to get a pic of the two of us in front of each lighthouse. I wonder how she did. :)
ready to go!!!
248 steps = 12 story building.
and we happily climbed every step.
twice.
I gotta say, climbing the oak island lighthouse first really killed some of my fear. not that I wasn't nervous, but I was okay.
just look at me go!!!
 I still prefer the wall, of course, but I actually made it out to the rail, and that's a big deal.
windy pic...
and non windy pic. :) what a difference!
we got all the det's from the park rangers. they are all very friendly. :)
somewhere along the way to the top, shelly said "I really wish we could make it to the Currituck lighthouse," and laura and I were all like, "ok! let's do it!" and darlaina was like "ok, whatever!"
rusty rail all roped off.
 
so we busted the move out of there, to the gift shop, quickstyle picked our souvie's and we were off to bodie island lighthouse!
 someday we'll make it over to check out the keeper's quarters. someday that we don't have 10 kids with us or running a tight schedule.
 another fun and speedy lighthouse adventure!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love da blog!! What a fun adventure!!