Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Day #143 - Hurricane Isaias edition

It rained all night, but we were so tired that we got a good nights sleep. My emergency alert went off at 4:30 and it woke me up but it didn’t process. I woke up around 5:30 and i couldn’t sleep when I realized we’d slept through several tornado warnings. It was raining really hard so I went to check our basement. Everything was fine but I still couldn’t sleep. 

My emergency alert went off again around 6 and that time I was alert enough to go get the gang up. We got down to the basement with the intention of cuddling back to sleep, but we got sidetracked picking up the toys, and then i if you give a mouse a muffin’d  it and we started going through toy  bins organizing. We got rid of 2 bags, so that was great. 

Around 8 the texts started coming in. We have several families in our ward whose basements flooded, including our EQP. Matt was outside digging trenches in our yard to keep the water away from the house. It was still coming down hard and fast. Our quiet sump pump was working nonstop and we had a lake in our backyard. 

For a second there I had a quick mini meltdown. I had just seen that my friends mom passed away from Covid (that’s 2 friends parents in the last week), several basements were flooded, and Matt was out in the pouring rain working to make sure ours stayed dry It just all felt like a lot. Thankfully it was the quickest meltdown and then it was back to work. 

The power went out around 8, but just for about 10 minutes. Thankfully, we bought this bad boy yesterday. Our first generator, look at us go. 

We got it all set up, the power came back on, and the rain stopped. So it’s a good thing we had it. 😉 

Our lake did go down a ton after the trenches started functioning. Also, we were asked by the town to limit water usage because of the flooding. Until 12 noon they specifically asked residents not to flush the toilet unless it was an emergency. I thought that was so interesting and the first time I ever remember that. 

Our draining issues are so bad, we really need to figure it out. I’ve got a feeling 2020 will be the year. 

Our pretty house. 3 hurricanes down. 

It was such a fast storm!  It seems like we know about most hurricanes for a week in advance, and, maybe it’s just because the world is upside down and sideways, but I didn’t really hear about this one. And our last hurricane was a dud, so maybe that’s what I expected. Idk. But this guy was fast and furious. 

By 11’ish the rain had fully stopped and the sun had came out. We took Tenkor for a walk so she could go potty. Delaney splashed in the gutter which is kind of gross, but oh well. 

Matt tended to bis trenches, we had lunch, and he headed out to see how he could help with the flooded families. . 

We got 7.1” in 12 hours. 

Our whole county was hit super hard. There’s tons of flooding and roads closed. 

People shared really amazing pictures. 

Someone shared a video of a stranded motorist being rescued. A tornado did touch down in Leonardtown, down route 5 and then also a motorist died when a tree fell on their car. Praying for all the people that have been affected. It’s a lot to deal with in addition to our global pandemic. 

Breton Bay is completely flooded in, no one can get in or out. That’s bananas and scary. 

There were several roads like this. 

A neighbor shared how our drainage ditch overflowed. 

The memes have been crushing it lately too. 

I can’t even. 😂

Basically. 

And a few more cool flood pictures. 

I made lots of calls and sent lots of texts. It’s amazing the way our ward comes together when the chips are down. We had work crews at 4 different houses and several of them went to each house to make sure all was well. This was made even more tricky by all the roads that were out. Also meals going in to several different families. The gospel in action. 

I am so grateful Matt could be a helper and not a receiver of help this time. It’s a much better place to be. 

I love this one. 

I ordered our closet from easy closets this evening. They have a sale that ends tomorrow, so we went for it. Can’t wait!

It’s been a long and weird day. I’m glad it went well and I’m also glad it’s over. 

No comments: