Thursday, July 20, 2017

Adventure day - Montpelier Mansion

I was able to clear Tuesday completely of obligations and appointments. I didn't know what we were going to do, but I knew we needed an adventure. All day on Monday Laura, Frannie, and I texted back and forth with ideas. We recently found my old 50 Most Beautiful Places in Maryland list, so I went through and picked a few options. We decided on Gunpowder Falls, which is north of Baltimore. Then I went through and picked a few other spots that were also nearby, and also a creamery on our Ice Cream Trails list that matt picked up from the library. 

By Tuesday morning Frannie had bailed. we reconfigured things and were all able to fit into the jolly green. I told Laura my idea for additional adventure stops and she was all for it! One of the many reasons I love her. 

First stop - Target for water shoes. Coulda been boring, becept it's never boring with our crews! We were loud and fun and found what we needed. Also, we got D her replacement pink boots. Her last pair were completely falling apart so I know these will get a lot of play. 

Second stop - Montpelier Mansion!

First we got in free with our military id's. Holla. We took a self guided tour and let the girls lead the way. Carriage house. 

We got through a couple rooms before we remembered to take some pics. Dress up time!

Delaney found this wig and I didn't have the heart to tell her it was for a boy. 

All the heart eyes. 

We always love to play with the old fashioned toys. 

Addie was making the same weird face I was until the second before the picture was taken. And now I just look like a freak. 

Poor Daniel. The only boy. Practically the only teen. Tagging along with a bunch of moms and little girls. He was a good sport. 

Our tour guides, the 9-and-under crowd, took us upstairs. 

They had another play area in the children's bedroom. 

More old fashioned toys. Daniel was better at it because he's got that weird boy gene that gives you good hand-eye coordination. I still managed to get my ball into my cone a few times though. 

More dress up! Laney loved the wooden clogs!

Addie was being so serious and stately. 

Another bedroom decorated not in original furnishings to the mansion, but in furniture that fits with the time period. 

We pretty much just did a quick walk through. It was a pretty mansion, but I actually think Sotterly Plantation is nicer. Then we walked the grounds and got so close to tree climbing. But the moms were being "party poopers" and wouldn't let them. 

This was actually the backside of the house. Loooove the colonial style!

Those pants'o'mine are so unattractive! I wear them when I might be getting dirty or torn. But I'm thinking they might need to go. Just kidding, I hate getting rid of clothes. 

These cute girls ran around and explored and were so good. Also, Alli pointed out that she always loves Laney's pictures cause she's always doing something crazy and different. I guess I hadn't noticed, but it's true. I have a pretty stock 'hand on hip, leg out' pose, but not Lanes. She's always got something new up her sleeve. 

Front of the house... or mansion, as the case may be. 

Loved all the flowers. 

And the pretty gardens with the white picket fence. 

Love this ride or die chic

We grabbed some sandwiches out of the cooler and headed on to our next adventure!

No comments: