Thursday, July 1, 2010

Remember When

Remember when old ones died new were born
life was changed, disassembled, rearranged.
We came together, fell apart
and broke each other's hearts.
Remember when.

- Alan Jackson


Last week Matt and I celebrated our 4th wedding anniversary.

4 years.

3 cross country moves.

2 new babies.

2 houses bought.

4 new jobs (between us).

Loss of a mom.

Loss of a friend.

And a partridge in a pear tree.

Just after I moved to Seattle (and before I met Matt) Alan Jackson's song Remember When was released. I fell in love with it! I told my sister Amy that I wanted it to be my wedding song (if I ever got married) but it didn't really make sense to use as a wedding song. She said of course it made sense, that it could be our song through the years and we could look back on it and relate our lives to the lyrics.

It's only been 4 years (and we're in this for eternity, baby!) but I totally can relate to the words of that sweet song. We have lost people that were (and still are) important to us. We have welcomed new babies into our families. We have had our lives changed and rearranged (again and again and again). And we have broken each others hearts along the way.

And it's only been 4 years.

Remember when we said when we turned gray,
when the children grow up and move away,
we won't be sad, we'll be glad,
for all the life we've had.
And we'll remember when.

Okay, our children haven't really moved away yet. And even though there are a few strays, we haven't really gone gray yet either. But, we are glad for all the life we've had. Because along with all those major stressor's, the breaking each others hearts part, comes growth. And how poignant and amazing and spiritual it is when that growth is done together.

We danced to that song 4 years ago. And every year since then.

4 years down.

Forever to go.

Some pictures of that blessed day.

Because really, what's a wedding without the YMCA?!

And a little Electric Slide action!!!
(bet you thought I was gonna put some sweet and sappy pictures, huh?!)

I love this picture! Because the 3 of us look awesome!
(I think I make my facial expressions too dramatic all the time because when I don't know I'm having a picture taken, I often look like this. Maybe I am a drama queen, but that's another subject for another time.)

Out the door and on with our lives!
And I wouldn't trade it for the world!

See ya' suckas'!

Love you Matt-daddy!

1 comment:

amy said...

why i am so dang smart and insightful? you lokked so beautiful that day and even with all the drama i am glad i was there. p.s. you left terry out of your last pic. :-)