Sunday, June 25, 2023

To Canada with love

It’s no secret that I ❤️ Canada. So when adi asked if we could pop over for breakfast, I didn’t take a lot of convincing. 

I let the girls sleep in longer than I should have. We didn’t have nearly enough time in Canada!

I’d found a breakfast place, but then it was too swanky. We checked out the loveliest food truck, but they only took cash and I only had $11. They pointed us to a little hole in the wall that was just right. 

We walked over via the park and library. D thought this was funny and snapped a pic for papa. 😂

Ana’s Cafe, so yummy! 

Then it was time to head for our cruise, so we popped into a cute store and then headed back to our car. A Canadian Legion!

A piano out and about for all to play - love it so much! And I’m jealous that my girls can all just plop down and play beautiful music. Someday I’ll get my act together and join them. 

I didn’t do any research about what to expect around bubba’s house until we got there and I realized it’s a really cool part of New York known as the 1000 Island region AND there are tons of lighthouses around them. Then I found this cruise that goes to a lighthouse on an island and lets you climb and I really wanted to do it. We couldn’t get any day to work with our times that Christian and jeanne were both off until Friday, and even then it was playing by ear till the hour before the cruise left. I said a little prayer and it worked. Heavenly Father really is mindful of us, even for silly things like lighthouse cruises. 

The boat was a glass bottom boat, which was a new experience for most of us. 

We had the best weather the whole trip - low 80’s and no rain. 

It was absolutely pleasant out on the water. 

And so so pretty. We all decided we could dig an island house. I’d like to live on one for a year and see how I liked it. 

We cruised the shipping canal and got to see several big ships. They have salty’s that cruise ocean and fresh water with a pointed front, and then lakers that have a more rounded front. We saw both. 

The cruise to Rock Island is short and then they took us all around on the way back. 

But first we had an hour to kill on Rock Island. 

First we toured the Keeper’s Quarters. 

She was initially on the other side of the house and only the top portion where the line is. Then they realized they’d built the house too tall and had to move her and make her taller. This is not an uncommon lighthouse occurrence. 

She’s just a short little lady, perfect height for me. 

We all climbed up to the lantern room and our guide spent 10 minutes telling us stories. 

I loved the wood paneling on the walls and ceiling - so pretty!



I love dragging my crew lighthousing with me! Everyone agreed the cruise was the favorite thing we did all week. 

There was a pirate that kept the light for a few years, so they give kids clues and let them treasure hunt. D was all over that and ran all around the island on her own. 

She got a little bag of goodies for her searching. 

The circle flower garden is where the lighthouse used to be. 

Glass bottom!

We saw the bottom when it was only 5 feet deep then immediately dropped off to 30 feet. Also beams from a shipwreck, but I never did really see those. 🤷‍♀️ I couldn’t make them out. 

Osprey nest! Bubba saw them in there, but I didn’t. I do see a theme here though. Whomp whomp. 

They told us about several of the islands. And D was a star passenger when he asked how many islands there really were and she knew (1864) because we’d read it at the Canadian welcome center. 😂

I love seeing my kids have fun together. 

These two live in a really cool part of the country!

Eagles nest!

Cute little island post office. 

Clayton, New York. Clayton was my momma’s maiden name. 🤗

Bubba and jeanne treated everyone to Dippin Dots after our cruise, and then we stayed out in Alexandria Bay while they went home and then brought us back dinner. 

The girls really wanted to swim, so we found the worlds smallest beach and they froooooze in the water. 

Bubba and jeanne made hamburgers and pasta salad and when they came back we picnicked at the beach and walked around. There was a huge biker rally so it was kind of fun to see thousands of bikers descend on cute little A Bay. 

Then it was time for our Drive-In movie, which was also in A Bay. 

We saw Elemental and could have stayed for Little Mermaid but it had started raining and we were all tired. 

The movie was so cute and we love love a drive-in! It was the best day of the week! Perfect ending to our trip!




1 comment:

Smilin' Jack 3 said...

Wow!! Excepting the horrible, cold, miserable, dangerous, expensive and nasty winter, upstate New York is a nice place to live. Thousand Islands could be, other than a favorite dressing, a place for the Ray's to light one of these days.Start learning now how to use snowshoes, snowmobiles, battery jumpers, engine warmers, heavy-duty ice scrapers and best methods for clearing sidewalks/drive-ways. Oh, and take some refresher courses on how to treat frost-nip, frostbite and hypothermia.

Other than that, keen fun!!

Hahahaha, I don't think I'm man enough anymore to live up there year-round.

Love the Blog annnnnnd, you guys!!