Thursday, December 26, 2013

Coming home

On Monday we got up early and packed up the apartment. mike and cami met us and we got everything loaded up and thanked them and said goodbye. We ran to target to pick up a toothbrush. See, I can wear the same clothes two days in a row, but I draw the line at waiting 48 hours to brush my teeth. (My suitcase caught the Sunday flight out)

We picked up some breakfast and went to Tom/bons. We hung out there for awhile and then decided to go to sams and walk around. From there, they dropped us off at the airport. This time I couldn't convince them to come in, which was ok because I didn't have my bag and didn't have to wait in the southwest line. We made it through security and to our plane. That flight was also oversold and I could have given up my ticket that time too, but I wanted to be home for Christmas, so I didn't. It's good to know that I could have though! That could be very lucrative someday.

Happy girls on the plane! We got window seats on every flight and people were so nice to us. Even after delaneys 20 minute crying fit on our second flight to Seattle, I had so many people telling me how good delaney was and that it was ok that she cried. It really kind of keeps my faith in humanity that there are still so very many good people. Even on over crowded flights across the country at Christmas. (:
Delaney only slept for a little while on our flight to Chicago. Then she was up and needy the rest of the time. She didn't cry, so that was good. We got to Chicago good and early and with an hour until our next flight, only to find out that our flight was delayed an hour. That put us landing at bwi at 1:10am. We were waiting on our pilots, so they got some volunteer pilots to "babysit" the plane so we could board, but then we sat on the tarmac for over an hour. We didn't take off until 11:30 Chicago time, which is 12:30 our time. We were waiting on the tarmac for so long that one of the volunteer pilots started telling riddles. That's pretty good customer service. 
Delaney was soooo good! Thankfully this flight wasn't full and the woman in the aisle seat was so nice! Delaney stretched all out and enjoyed her sams hot dog from earlier in the day. Not gross at all, right?
Also, Chicago is really cold. And they had the front and back door on the plane open. After awhile they got us hooked up to the airport heat, so that was much nicer. 
We landed just before 2am, caught our shuttle, found our car, paid our $63 for parking, and made the long drive home. Thankfully autumn is on California time and stays up late, so we talked the whole ride home and it went by so quickly and enjoyably. My trip started at Monday at 4am and ended the following Tuesday at 4am. Phew!

It was a really good and bonding family trip. I am so thankful for so many good friends and my good family that made it possible. I am thankful for my knowledge that families can be together forever and that I know I will see sweet harvey again. And I am so very thankful for little baby Harvey. He has reminded all of us of what is important and brought so much love. I just love that baby boy. 

No comments: