Friday, January 13, 2023

He’s home!

We go to the dentist a lot. Sometimes I take each girl (separately) once a week. Frankie has braces and Adi and Delaney are doing myobrace therapy in lieu of braces. This treatment focuses on correcting negative oral habits (mouth breathing, tongue resting in the right spot, etc), widens the upper jaw so the tongue has enough room, and then aligns teeth. The tongue having the right amount of room will prevent teeth from going back crooked. There is a whole long list of health benefits. 

I definitely didn’t fully appreciate what we were taking on when we signed up for this therapy, especially times 2. Adi has been pretty good with everything, but Delaney is 3 and a half years younger and that has made a huge difference. They first had metal expanders that they both hated. Then oral exercises to do at least twice a day. Then after the expanders were removed they get to wear a myobrace for 2 hours a day and then all night. But the problem is, their lip muscles aren’t strong enough to hold their giant myobrace in their mouths all night. 

So I get to put medical tape on their mouths every night to try to help it stay in all night. Taping your child’s mouth shut feels so weird. At least at first. I’m so used to it now, so it doesn’t phase me. Adi is well ahead of Delaney, so she’s done with the myobrace, she’s already had a frenectomy and is now on to the Invisalign phase of treatment. D has been struggling. We both really kind of dread going to the dentist because usually she hasn’t done as much as she should and hasn’t made as much progress as she could. Miss Claudia is very patient, but it’s frustrating. Thursday was our worst appt. 
She didn’t wear her myobrace really at all in Europe and has backslid 3mm, and is close to needing to go back into the expanders. Which would mean so many more appointments and I just can’t. We got home and had a family council. I feel like I have fallen into a management role where things don’t happen unless I’m managing each person with many reminders and even then sometimes things don’t happen and I get grumpy. It’s not fair to anyone and we can do better. We all committed to stepping up and making myobrace therapy and piano and children and youth goals and chores all a family affair. I’m optimistic things will get better. 

In happier news, Christian had a 4 day weekend and came down to the SMC! I asked Lexi to make a banner and I picked it up from Staples right before he showed up. 

I initially thought they were arriving Friday, so I requested the sign in the front of our neighborhood to welcome him home on Friday, but he surprised us by coming Thursday night. They came today (Friday) also, right before Chris Mitchell changed the sign. So now we’ll wait for him to see it till they come over Sunday. 🤷‍♀️

Delaney is in a loose tooth stage. She’s pulled 2 teeth already and has two more loose. She also started Battle of the Books and is reading nonstop. Little weirdo holding the second tooth she pulled. 

Giving this crazy hair guy a hug was The. Best. We stayed up telling stories and just soaking up family time. We are so very grateful he’s made it home safely. 

I am killing my resolutions. And also working on mindfulness, not being so focused on goals and checking off lists that I don’t make time for, or get frustrated with my people. It’s a balance and I’m getting better. 

I was also able to go to the temple with Alecia and her parents on Thursday. Being in the temple once or twice a month the last few months has been so very wonderful. 

1 comment:

Alecia said...

The sign turned out perfectly! So happy your boy is home. :)