Monday, January 2, 2023

Auf wiedersehen, Deutschland

We had mostly packed last night, but mornings always bring the last minute scramble. 

I cooked up all our leftover NYE appetizers and we had a feast for breakfast. We did a pretty good job on our food this time, we only threw away a couple egg rolls, 1/2 cordon bleu, and a hard boiled egg. 

We got the dishes started in the dishwasher and every adult checked every room. Packed our car and then it was time for one last set of pictures. 

*cool rooftop garden*

When we were walking around and I wanted a picture I’d say “assemble!” and everyone knew to get behind me on my left and make sure they could see their face in the camera. So we had a few last assemblies this morning. Then we were off!

Actually, we were off to Nettie to recycle our plastic bottles and use the €2.50 we got. 

This weird stadium thing is right on the freeway leaving Berlin, it is the weirdest thing. 

We made some water closet stops and Matt did some push-ups like he likes to do. 

We got a snacky lunch of bakery items at Aldi, where we also bought, among other things - a bra, a snowflake rolling pin, and egg timer. I finally got my brotchen. I used to split them open and scoop out the fluffy insides and that was my favorite part. I’ve come to appreciate the whole thing, but I still scooped the inside out for old times sake. 

This made me laugh. 😂

Matt had found a castle to stop and about halfway on our drive from Berlin back to Amsterdam. It was a nice little hike to stretch out legs. 

Someone left a box and pen for people to make notes on an ornament and hang it on the tree, but the box was already empty. 

Driving in Germany. We came in the northwest, drove to the southeast, then northeast, and back out again. Allll across Germany. 

We stopped for dinner at Burger King only because it’s so easy. Or at least we thought it would be. For some reason we didn’t get our food for 25 minutes (I think it was Matt and Adi’s impossible burgers) and then, as we feared because we’d seen so many other people get their food and find their orders wrong, our order was almost completely wrong. Frankie and I got the wrong sandwiches all together and adi and Delaney got mustard and ketchup only instead of only pickles. Then when I went down and asked for pickles for them they were like “how am I supposed to give you pickles?” like no one had ever asked for that? When I suggested a cup or a napkin he looked to his manager for approval. 😂 it was a serious hot mess. Least fav European meal. 👎🏼

But at least Delaney got to eat on a throne. 

After forever we finally arrived at our Max Hotel Amsterdam Airport - no frills hotel. And I can verify it is no frills. 

Adi is standing in the smallest bathroom I’ve ever seen. 

And when we walked in I at first thought our lights didn’t work, but then realized I had to put my key in the slot in order to turn the lights on. It’s clean and quiet safe, and that’s really all we need.  

We walked over to McDonald’s for ice cream because it’s right next door. Listen, I hate us too. That we’ve had 4 fast food meals (and now 1 dessert) in Europe makes me sad and also we’re traveling with kids and there really are not as many restaurants and food places as I thought there would be. 🤷‍♀️




No comments: