Monday, October 19, 2020

Day #217

When I got to my hotel room last night I checked how far I was from the Atlanta temple and thankfully found I was on the right side of Atlanta, just 15 minutes away!

The gate was locked, but it was really neat to see it. 

I drove all the way around it for the full experience. They’ve got what looks like a quadroplex on the property with the church building. There weren’t any cars there so I’m still wondering what that was. 

I got the most exciting call the other day. A new convert in our ward was set to go to the temple in March, and of course wasn’t able to. She’s been patiently waiting all this time and just got the call that she can go on October 28 and she invited us! I miss the temple so much and am so excited for the opportunity to worship and be there with this dear sister. 

The drive continued uneventfully. 

I chatted with the family and asked Matt how close i was to the South Carolina state line and they prepped me to cross a bridge and see Hartwell Lake. So i had to send them a pic of the beautiful lake. 

I have missed the last 2 ward councils, and then adding general conference in, I felt like I hadn’t been in forever. I decided I’d stop at a rest stop and take a break to “attend.” And then I thought it was funny that I thought I’d find a rest stop at just the exact time, but then I totally did. I found a cool, quiet table to stand at and stretch my sore knee #oldlady and it was a lovely way to attend a lovely meeting. 

Also, I’m so so glad I lighthoused yesterday because there wasn’t anything fun to see today (other than the temple). 

I hit traffic just before Richmond, but other than that the whole days drive was easy and uneventful. I listened to the Saturday am session this morning and then The Giver of  Stars which was really good. Yesterday I listened to Too Fat, Too Slutty, Too Loud by Anne Helen Peterson that was ok. It’s about the tightrope women walk of being seen as too much of anything. Each chapter focused on a different “unruly” female celebrity and whatever they’d been deemed “too much” of. I get it and see it and sometimes feel it, but the book seemed repetitive, like it could have been half as long. So I solved that problem by listening on double speed. 

I talked with the family off and on all day and also my mom and Chelsea. The swanky Pacifica has hands free and it was pretty sweet. Actually, the jolly green has hands free phone too, but when the girls were little I never liked to use it so they could listen to music while I chatted. And then I never set my phone up again. Maybe I should. 

Also, my girls have loved playing with out Halloween costumes this year! I guess they always do, but this year they are home a lot. 

I had gotten our license plate game out for our camping trip and decided to bring it for our big Louisiana trip. I saw not only one Hawaii plate, but a whole truck transporting a whole truck full of cars with Hawaiian plates. We only missed 6 states - Alaska, Nevada, Montana, Wyoming, Kansas, and Rhode Island. Incidentally, 5 of those are among the 10 least populated states, so go figure. (I was pretty stoked to find the one North Dakota I saw!) I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of the license plate game. 🤷‍♀️

I rolled up around 9:00. The family tracked my progress all day - they would text me when I stopped and check on my potty breaks 😂 - which made me feel so safe and loved. Addie was outside waiting for me when i got home and I got big hugs all around, including from Tenkor, who jumped all over me and cried. 

In 4 days i went over 2200 miles and packed and moved the whole other day. I’m a little sore, especially my right knee, but other than that it was a great trip. We got gas for less than $2 a gallon the whole way - the cheapest we saw was somewhere in Mississippi for $1.55! 

Everyone was excited for their souvenirs and everyone enjoyed their prailines. It’s good to be home! And tonight’s sleepless night/blogging is brought to you by Tenkor in our bedroom. It’s going to be a napping kind of day. 

No comments: