Sunday, October 18, 2020

Day #215

By the time I woke up Friday morning, (8’ish) Alli had already picked up boxes and was ready to start packing. We got right to work, wiping the 3 month accumulation of dust off everything and packing it up. At noon I was starving and finally insisted we get some food. We picked up Churches Louisiana Kitchen, which Alli swears is better in Louisiana (I don’t know about that). We walked around Louis Armstrong Park that is right across the street from Alli’s apartment. I realized we hadn’t taken a single picture, so we got a dirty, packing, no makeup walking shot. 

And check out this tree! I see climbing opportunities everywhere, and this tree would be an amazing climbing tree. 

Alli’s balcony is probably the coolest thing about her apartment. 

You can see the downtown and more specifically, the demolished Hard Rock Cafe that collapsed during the building. 

And the other direction. Also, the balcony is slanted and feels like it could fall at any moment, so that adds to the excitement of it. 

We packed and cleaned for a few more hours, and then went out for some souvenir shopping before the Friday night crowds got too wild. The Halloween decorations in the Quarter are unlike anything you might see in Leonardtown. 

It might be dirty and loud and bananas when it’s busy, but the French quarter is beautiful. I love, love, love the architecture and plants and history. 

I’m obsessed with the gas lights. They are everywhere and look so cool! I also love the Spanish street signs on all of the buildings. 

Pictures don’t do it justice, it’s just a really beautiful place. I wish I’d had time to go for a long run because it would keep me entertained for miles and miles. 

We found fun souvenirs for our crew and were walking enjoying the beautiful evening when we passed by a group of ladies and girls that caught my eye. It took me a minute, but then I thought i recognized Cade’s mom, Jackie. I wasn’t sure, but then saw Channing and knew it was her. I called her name and then we did the whole “what are you doing here?!” They flew in to catch up with friends on a road trip. She suggested we take a selfie to send to the kids, so there you have it. I still think it’s so funny to see her from Oregon and me from Maryland being in the exact same place in all of  New Orleans. 

Alli told me this little alley is called pirates alley. They would come here to drink, and if a police officer or someone came threatening, or looking for them, they would run into the church right next door and claim sanctuary. Those dastardly pirates!

We headed back home and finished our packing. Alli has an eccentric neighbor named Lulu that I’m so bummed I didn’t get to meet. She is a super fun decorator and even decorates Alli’s door, the one on the right. 

To get into her apartment you go in a locked door into a courtyard, not like a pretty courtyard, like an industrial one that many apartments and a bar share, and then go up these stairs. It’s very downtown big city. 

I love this door at the bottom of her stairs. Tons of character. 

We busted that apartment out and were done packing by 7. We ordered some delicious Chinese - crab rangoon is so yummy - and were in bed by 8:30. If you read yesterday’s blog, you know that blissful slumber was interrupted by good ol’ Burt, but we did get 4 good hours. 

No comments: