Friday, June 26, 2015

Stormy night and pranking fun

For Tuesday dinner we made BBQ chicken, salad, and my fated Apple crisp.  And as we ate, we watched the storm roll in. 
It only ended up being 94. It was definitely hot, but it wasn't horrible. I don't know if I was just prepared, or what, but I was good. After dinner, while the girls were singing, our volunteer park ranger, Wanda (she was awesome!) came up and said the storm was 20 minutes away and to be expecting wind gusts up to 70mph. We brought the girls in and ran around shutting shades and windows.
It was a crazy loud and fierce storm! A tree came down just uphill from our camp and there was a live power line down, but the wind only gusted to 34mph. Debby and Emily had driven up that afternoon, so we had a fun half cabin and enjoyed talking until way too late that night b

My kitchen duty started at 7 (or 7:10'ish if you are me). On Wednesday we made pancakes, sausage, oatmeal, fruit, and juice. 

This was our busiest day. After breakfast I started making puppy chow, but due to some confusion on my part, brother brown had to run to the store for more peanut butter. Brother G had all the weeks recipes in a binder, but then in another section of the binder he had the bulk recipes he uses when he cooks for the bigger camps. I had inadvertently switched recipes mid-puppy chow making. So ours had double the peanut butter and chocolate. (:
Biggest batch of puppy chow I've ever made! We threw it all in a garbage bag and brothers brown and Gillingwater played catch with it to coat it all in powdered sugar. Those two are so funny! And they are so in love with their wives. It was very sweet. (:
The puppy chow was rich, but no one complained. And I finally gave the last bit out Friday morning, so it's all good!
We made chimichangas, rice, jalepno poppers, and chili verde for lunch. I personally filled and wrapped over 60 jalepno halves. We were busy! Bro G mixing the chimichanga filling.
Right after lunch I had to get going on the Chinese salad. Chopping cabbage, green onions, and cilantro to make enough salad for at least 100 people takes awhile. I didn't leave the kitchen from 7-after 3. It was crazy busy. As soon as I sat down, leisa came and asked if anyone would be willing to play games so the girls teams would be even. The teenage girl in me came out and I volunteered pretty quick. I wasn't sure if they'd want me on their team, but those girls are so sweet and came and asked if I'd help. Love it! 

We had 4 challenges. First was a blind lead/follow with their legs tied together. Easy. Madison guided her two and I guided my two, and our tower was built before any other team even got close. 

The next challenge was throwing a frisbee through small shapes cut out of a tarp. There was a large hole worth 10 pts, medium hole worth 20, and a small hole worth 30. I threw my first one aimed for the 10 pointer, and like the luckiest lady ev-ah, it went through the 30 pointer. The best part was that it went through one I wasn't aiming for. Yessssss. So we won that challenge too. 

Third was to "shave" a balloon. Killed it. 

Our fourth challenge was to unscramble scripture heros that personify certain character attributes, like persevering unscrambled to "pioneers." 
That was the hardest one, we were stumped for at least 10 minutes. And then, like word scrambles do, it came to me and our team had a clean sweep. Numbah 1! Such sweet girls. (:
Debby put together a couple fun photo collages, so I swiped 'em. Carolee and I had a little shaving cream loving. (:
While I was mixing up the never-ending puppy chow, I was thinking about the wigalow song the girls had been singing, and that Chris had come home from seabase singing. In the song you challenge other groups to show you how they "wigalow." So I came up with the idea to challenge the scouts at scout camp and bike trip to a little wigalow match. Here they are getting ready to bring it. I posted it to fb and also texted to kitty in LP. The boys at scout camp and LP girls took us up on our challenge and sent their wigalows, and we're still hoping to see something from the bike crew. I told Chris he needed to get his boys together too. 
It was a fun and busy day, but one of my favorite moments was this one:
Emily and Bethany set up a prank that Lydia could participate in. They had gotten with the 2nd years to make sure they'd be ok with getting water thrown on them, and then equipped Lydia with a cup full of water for throwing. It was so sweet. Lydia was so happy, she just laughed and laughed. One of my favorite camp moments for sure.

That night, we decided we needed to teach the girls how to prank. I stole the Saran Wrap and duct tape from the kitchen and we got ready for our recon. 
Saran wrapping doors is not as easy as it seems. We started with the 1st years door and then went for the gold in the ycl cabin. Dixie really wanted to go inside and wrap yarn all around, and since I'm never one to shy away from adventure, I went for it! Only we got caught, or Dixie did. Ashely woke up, and after some headlight issues, totally saw Dixie. She dropped her yarn bag and we all ran down the hill laughing. 5 oldish mommas running down a hill in pitch black, I'm sure we were quite a site!

Next we went to the pranksters cabins. We could tell they were still awake, even though the lights were out. So Alecia and I decided to tape and Saran Wrap as best we could. Only, mid wrapping, they came out. And since there wasn't anything else to do, I yelled "boo" at them as soon as they opened the door. It was pretty hilarious. They totally got their payback. (: later that night, or morning, since it was after 1am, we foiled their attempt to sneak into our cabin. Hahaha, not so fast there 4th years!

We were all so hyped up that none of us could sleep for a long time. Pranking is a lot of excitement for the mom crowd. 

1 comment:

Alecia said...

Oldish? I assume that means you are all old and I'm not so that together makes us oldish. :) Such a fun night!