Monday, June 22, 2015

father's day

fathers day dawned bright and early. I got up and made chocolate chip muffins to take to the early morning youth discussion at the stake center. our plan was to leave at 7, be there in time for the 8 youth discussion, chris and I would leave at 9, pick up the little girls, (lexi babysat) and then be to our church building to watch the broadcast at 10. plans 1&2 worked, but then the youth discussion didn't end till 9:20, so we were stuck at the stake center. Christian was totally fine with that though, so there was absolutely no teen drama about the change of plans. he totally wasn't pouting in the foyer until I came out and made him come him. thankfully. also thankfully, lexi was flexible about keeping the girls and even offered to take them to conference flying solo. what a nice surprise that was. :)

matt sang in the choir and the girls reported being able to see him the whole time as he was right behind the speakers.

we got home around 1:30 and sent daddy for his nap. after naps the girls gave them his father's day gift - an awesome, originally decorated tie. it's definitely one of a kind!
alexis had a vision of what she wanted, but wanted the girls to help, which changed the vision. he loved it anyway, and all the more for the uniqueness of it. he also bought himself some nice flip flops (so he can stop wearing his tennis shoes to the pool) and then his skate shoes. (lexi was still napping)
I made lemon basil risotto with shrimp (pioneer woman deliciousness), fruit salad, and corn on the cob and everyone enjoyed it. here's how they enjoyed it: addie, alexis, and Frankie picked their shrimp out and passed it on to Frankie, and Frankie passed on her risotto to each of them. happy, happy.

at 5, we sent daddy off again to the Why I Believe fireside with Naval Academy Head Football Coach, Ken Niumatalolo. I totally would have gone with him, but since i'm leaving for girls camp in 30 minutes and counting, I felt like I should stay with the kids and finish getting ready. maybe we are an odd family. we enjoy doing things together and try to whenever we can, but we also love and value alone time. we gave daddy lots of alone time for his special day and he really loved it. and he said the fireside was fabulous.
we called papa/gramps and everyone spent some time talking to him. dad and daughters, circa 2000.
and with little lexi-lu circa 1997.
and then me with a couple of my favorite dads. this was when matt and I were dating, 10+ years ago, and he took dad and I for a flight, and dinner. pretty sure dad took the controls for a little while on this flight. what fun!
it was a great day celebrating our dads. they are so important to us and we are so thankful for them.
 
chris had rented MacFarland USA, so we watched that as I finalized camp prep. today I am off to girls camp, (woohoo!) and wouldn't you know I've woken up with a runny nose and stuffy head. worst.timing.ever. tomorrow is suppose to be 97° with the heat index right around 103° and I hope I survive!!! oh yeah, me and my cold are working in the kitchen - awesome! pray for me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a great tie!! And, yes, I did take the controls of the plane...over downtown Seattle. That's a great, big WooHoo!! Thanks!!

Gramps