Thursday, July 18, 2024

Civita di Bagnoregio

This quirky house. It looks like these steps used to be outside the house but then they expanded?

Teeny tiny sink in the corner. 

Another reason I think they expanded is this delightful window into the bedroom Matt and I slept in. I mean, I do like a living room - to - bedroom window, but you know. 

Civita di Bagnoregio was a Matt find and he was so excited!

It’s this wild little village on a plateau. I know we’ve seen a could have these, but this one is the finest and most separate. 

I’ve never been to the Great Wall of china, but this felt like we were walking on it. 

We found out only 20 people still actually live here, mostly old people, no children. 

Lots of Airbnb’s. 

I am in love with everyone’s plants in Italy. It makes me want to go drop some cash because plants aren’t always cheap. Aaaand, we forgot about our inside plants so they’re for sure all dead. 

The church was cool’ish temperature wise and so beautiful. And I found a cute little nativity in their gift shop. 

Officially in love with this cute little yard. 

I don’t know a lot about yards and I try to pay attention to ones that are cute and whimsical because it feels like there’s a very fine line between fun and dumpy. And I don’t exactly know what it is. 

We paid €1 each to go into this little cave/house where they filmed for a Pinocchio tv show. 





Could be the western United States. 

Downstairs they had a cool olive press circa 2000 years ago?

And then down down stairs they kept the meats cold, so that was heavenly to hang out in. 

Pinocchio is big in these parts. 

One thing I love is that so many of these places have old water fountains with cold potable drinking water. We didn’t have to buy any water this day because we just kept refilling our water bottles. 

Civita is tiny. Houses like this one are becoming unstable and crumbling away.
It’s been called the “the city that dies,” because of the way it’s falling apart and less and less people live there. 



In my quest to eat delicious food I had found the #1 rated restaurant on Trip Advisor was Alma Civita so we were their first (and only the whole time we were there) customers. We ordered traditional bruschetta that was all really good. 

Everything was so fancy. Matt ordered 2 courses, his first was a buffalo cheese with fancy toppings, and then adi and Frankie both got pastas. 

I ordered a fancy meatball dish and then Matt’s second course was a pork shank. It was all very posh and delicious and we got lots of attention since we were the only ones there. Harry Styles has eaten there too, sooooo. 

It was like a million degrees (95° I think) and the town is really small. We walked all around, some places more than once, ate a leisurely lunch, shopped, and the girls got gelato all before our 3 hour parking finished. 

So we headed down and back to Lake Bolsena for swimming on the north side. 

We swam for a few hours and then headed to Lolla’s on the recommendation of our server for the best gelato in Italy, and I have to say I think he might be right. 

They added whipped cream and even the cones were so tasty too!

We hit the road around 5 and thought this Route 66 truck was so funny. Even in Italy. 

We are staying in a bustling area of southern Rome on the world’s busiest street. We’re up on the 4th floor if you’re Italian, 5th floor if you’re American and we can’t hear a thing, so that’s great. Matt, Adi, and I walked a half mile to a grocery store for dinner and brekkie stuff and we called it a night. Our airbnb hostess said there might be a metro strike tomorrow, so it’s looking like it will be an early day!






No comments: