Sunday, November 1, 2020

Day #228

Thursday was Alli’s birthday. She loves to cook and be creative, so I had planned for a Nailed It baking party for her. First, we had donuts. We were boo’d last week, but when we went boo shopping on Wednesday, pickins’ were super slim. It’s annoying that they have so few Halloween items so many days before Halloween. We went to target and Aldi and were only able to find a rice crispy decorating kit. So we decided to boo with a decorate your own donut kit Thursday morning. We boo’d one of Laney’s friends, so she was extra excited. We had Alli drive papa’s space car with the Oregon plates, and after Addie and I rang the doorbell we ran into the car and ducked down, while the little girls were already ducking. It’s always so fun to knock and run with a treat!

We had donuts and then told Alli about her party. I wanted her to choose between picking what she baked, or being randomly assigned. She chose random and was assigned the cake. She was so excited, she got right to work!

Frankie and Alli were team cake, but really the girls popped in and out of all the projects. 

Matt and Addie were team cookies, but really Alli made the cookies, F and A cut them out, and Matt and all the girls decorated them.  

And my dad took this gem of Alli and I busy making appies in the air fryer. A favorite dinner!

Bubba came over to celebrate. Papa and bubba took Alli for a birthday lunch, and we also had family napping hour. 

I cooked and did dishes all. day. long. 

Delaney and I made from scratch cupcakes, caramel (twice because the candy thermometer didn’t work the first time and I burned it), custard frosting, and gem candy molds. 

From scratch sugar cookies and royal icing, which made had to make another batch of because we ran out. 

And then Alli made a from scratch 5 layer funfetti cake, Italian custard frosting, and a pink ganache. Papa came over and that’s why we have the busy girls pictures. 

I also made spinach dip and cranberry jalepno salsa. 

Dinner was delicious and fun. 

And then, dessert! Here was Alli’s example Funfetti cake. Don’t mind where I somehow drew on it as I was copying it to my phone. 🤷‍♀️

And her amazing funfetti cake! She did so awesome, it seriously looks professional. Her cake won for looks, but came in last for taste. The frosting was delicious, Italian custard was amazing, but the cake itself was super dense. I think with some ice cream it would be perfect, but we were all so full!

Matt’s example sugar cookies. 

And their creations. They loved decorating these and I was very impressed with their progress! These cookies came in a solid 2nd place for looks and taste. 

And my sample skull cupcakes. 

We couldn’t find the skull molds or the gold filigree wrappers. My cupcakes were super soft and crumbly, so I couldn’t dip them in gold sprinkles because they were falling apart. Addie did the frosting because I am learning to let go of things that don’t matter. My cupcakes came in 3rs place for looks, but 1st for taste, and that’s most important, right?

Happy birthday girl!

I squeezed all 35 candles on that mini cake!

I mean, you can see why it won for looks, amiright? It was perfect!

And papa for artsy and it looked really cool. A full day of cooking does not sound like an amazing birthday to me, but I think Alli loved it and felt loved. And her gift? We’re all pitching in to send Tenkor to training school for a week. This is a gift for all of us, including tenkor and we’re all super excited about it!

And this little king is the road was headed up to Oregon to see his other grandma and grandpa on Thursday. They had car troubles, so got a hotel in Missoula, because they were trying to drive all night. It was a bummer start, but they made it safe and sound. 







No comments: