Saturday, May 7, 2016

1/2 week

Working backwards.

The girls and I are watching Rio tonight. Because we needed a night to relax together and we've never seen it. They've bathed, picked up bedrooms and basement, eaten dinner, and now it's movie time. 

I arrived home to these beautiful flowers from Lexi-lu. She's a sweet girl. (:
The morning was spent at the AMCAP (association of Mormon counselors and psychotherapists) conference. It was so good! There were three sessions, and we split them up between the 4 of us - Laura, David, and Steve T, so we could come back to WC and share. I went to Working with Single Adults, Difficult Conversations (my absolute favorite!), and Mental Health and the Mission Field. 

We talked about building trusting relationships (most important thing we can do, at home and in our callings), recognizing the individual, so people are not "single sisters," they are "sisters who are single," (we don't define people by their marital status. 

Then in the difficult conversations one we talked about sitting with people in their grief, giving the gift of listening and feeling the spirit, validating them (which is different than agreeing), extending empathy, no judgement, and being truthful. Like, if someone has done something that has brought them to a painful situation, that is the truth, we don't need to skirt around it. But if we hold that in one hand, and love in the other, we are loving them genuinely and in a Christlike way. 

In the mental health and mission one we talked about using the right terminology, educating youth on mental health, teaching relaxation and ways to cope, and being honest and nonjudgmental with mental health challenges. 

It was all so good, and after I found a counselor and asked if people would be willing to come down to the edge of the world where we live and give our ward (maybe monthly?) presentations. I'm so excited, I hope it will be wonderful!

Yesterday was Brother Tanner's funeral. I had no idea what went into planning a funeral, but having just wrapped up my 2nd one, (exactly one month apart) I can say that it is a deeply spiritual and Christlike way to serve and mourn with those who mourn. Laney went to ainas for the day, and Darlaina picked up the big girls from school. 

After, we dropped food and flowers at their home and picked up girls. That night was Laura's birthday dinner at The Cow and the Fish, a new little restaurant. That's two months in a row we've gone out in a group to celebrate a birthday, and it's been so fun!
For Matt's birthday (to be blogged) I made a double chocolate cake (I figured our little restaurant didn't serve dessert) and since it was so rich, I brought milk. Also paper plates, cups, and forks. I guess that's weird? We got a good laugh about other patrons (and some members of our party) reactions. I don't even drink milk, but some people do! And Laura asked me to bring it this time, so voila. 
On Thursday we set up for the funeral and then had a presidency meeting at the church. Laney is the best RS baby ever. She totally happily played in the nursery by herself for like, 4 hours. Bless her. 

That night I went out to do a fun visit where I learned about goat reproduction, tasted goats milk (a whole cup!), and left with a dozen fresh eggs. Pretty sweet. 

Bubba stopped by Salsa's for me to buy gc's for our teachers for teacher appreciation week. Kimmy and Chelsea were there and hooked him up with this bad boy. 
He also bought a leash for Pip, who didn't love it. He wouldn't walk at all with it on, but as soon as Chris took it off, he bolted. Bratty. 
This baby brotha of mine was in the hospital for a few days. Never fun and always scary, we've been praying for them, even cute little Oli.
On Wednesday evening the whole gang headed out to Thomas Stone HS for one of baby boys last high school track meets. Delaney was all in love with Bubba all evening. She wanted to hang out with him (he sits with the athletes when he's not running), and then when he did go down for his event, she stayed with his friends. She's so crazy and not at all shy.
Addie and Frankie spent the whole evening (3 hours) racing against each other.
It was really nice that they had this sidewalk right in front of the bleachers for them to run and play.
See those weeds there? Delaney was picking them and throwing them in the air, like she likes to do, and a lady (not a worker) came up and asked her to stop. Pulling the weeds. It was so weird. But I want my kids to respect adults, and maybe she shouldn't have been throwing the weeds. It kind of embarrassed her and she sat on my lap and cried (quietly) for a few minutes.
Chris ran two relays and a 200. 
It's always fun to cheer the runners on, and relays are my favorite. I also really appreciate that Christian has pink running shoes so I can always pick him out from the other runners. They all look alike!
Matt is out of town for another week (two week AT) so life has been busy and regimented. But I definitely feel the blessings of service, and we are all hanging right in. Chris has been such a big help! He's a good boy. 

2 comments:

The Adventures of Smilin' Jack said...

Hola, que es el "Pip"? No sabe, y'all.

The Ainas said...

I was going to go to the difficult conversations class!! I'm glad it was good!