Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Avonlea

The Old Cape Tryon Lighthouse is private now, and this was as close as I dared to get. 

Then the new Cape Tryon Light.

They say this is the lighthouse that inspired Captain Jim’s lighthouse in Anne’s House of Dreams. 💕

Many of these little lights were down little one lane red dirt roads, and it had been rainy so I was more than a little cautious. Thankfully I never got stuck!

Just a few minutes away is the New London Lighthouse. 

This one is accessible by walking, but as you can see, the road was muddy and wet and I got a good enough view. 

Stunning. The whole island is just stunning. 

On my merry way to LMM’s birthplace. 

This is the room where she was born, but she only lived here a short time because her mother caught tuberculosis and passed away and she was sent to live with her grandparents. 

This is a cute little house, and of course the green accents on every Anne house. 

Next stop was Avonlea Village. 

I have to say I was underwhelmed by it. 

I did get a delicious ice cream from Cow’s Creamery, and picked up a few souvenirs, but on the whole Anne souvenirs were not especially cute, and I really wanted them to be. I tried to like them, but unfortunately there’s a lot of missed potential there. 

I don’t know what I thought Avonlea Village would be, but I was so excited to see it and then it was just shops. 🤷‍♀️ So I didn’t stay long after I finished my treat. 

Just down the road was the cemetery where she was buried. 💕

And the church she attended. 

See?

I was planning to check out the Avonlea and Cavendish beaches, but they are in a Provincial Park that you have to pay to get into and I didn’t want to stay long enough to make it worth it. By this time it was after 5, and the Green Gables House was already closed. I was starting to feel anxious because I really wanted to see it but didn’t want to have to drive all the way out to Avonlea again. I sat and looked at my lists and thought about what to do. 

I decided to check out the Macneill Homestead, which was still open for a few minutes, and the sweet lady there saved the day. I was telling her about my trip and how I’d run out of time and she said I could take the trail from the homestead and still see all the outdoor Anne sights, and the Green Gables House would really just have all the same things I’d already seen at the museum and her birthplace. I felt so much better! She told me to park at Montgomery Park and walk back to the Homestead so I’d have easier access to my car.  

I went back to the Homestead to pay my admission and bought a book and got a beautiful stamp in it. 

Where Anne of Green Gables was born! ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

I walked around their lovely gardens.

Knowing I’d be able to do all my Anne things relieved a silly worry and I was able to completely enjoy my evening with Anne. ♥️

The site of the original home. 

I loved the signs they had all around. They have done a really beautiful job honoring Prince Edward Island’s most notable ladies. 

Thankful for a mostly dry day!

My sweet gift shop friend saw my silly selfie and offered to take a pic for me. 😂

I chatted with her as I began this path and she told her about the difficult year I’d had and this wonderful rejuvenating trip. She told me about the difficult year they’d had (her grandmother and mother-in-law passed away, then the stepfather-in-law took his life) and a special trip they had planned. She told me about taking a bus from her home and how the Avonlea/Cavendish businesses provide easy public transportation for employees since not a lot of people live in the area to work all the tourist sites. She was very sweet, a kindred spirit even. 

And I’m off on my own. 

The haunted wood. And I have to admit, it wasn’t really creepy, but I could definitely see how you could work up your imagination. 

The Green Gables Heritage Place. This home was built by relatives of the Macneill family and was one of the homes that inspired Anne’s Green Gables home. The government purchased it in the 1930’s and have restored it with period furniture and rooms to look like Matthew and Marilla’s home. 

The gardens were beautiful. 

♥️♥️♥️ Lover’s Lane. ♥️♥️♥️

I love paths and roads when the trees meet in the middle overhead. 

Bucket list ✔️ 

I took my time and walked all around the property. 





Yup. 



This path lead back through the haunted wood paths and back to the Macneill Homestead. 

But just look at that door. 😍 

I’m a sucker for a pretty door. 

Leaving, but a few more shots to remember how magical it was. 

How’s this tree for the Haunted Wood? I talked to Matt as I meandered and took every trail. They had signs with book excerpts and quotes. It was really nicely put together. Oh, and there’s a golf course too, right next to Green Gables House and the Haunted Wood. 

Before I left Avonlea I walked around Montgomery Park. I love this sign in one of the little picnic areas. 

Maud. ♥️

Oh how I love her. She actually led a bit of a troubled life. I’d like to read more about her. 

Trees honoring the founding families of Cavendish. 



No comments: