Friday, November 4, 2022

My 6th Canadian Province

On my very last day I decided to take the ferry from Wood Islands (a mile from my cabin) across the Northumberland Strait and into Nova Scotia. 

I realized it would cost about the same, since it’s $50 to cross the only bridge from PEI back to the mainland, and it would give me a short break from driving. And I love to be out on the water. The only problem was that I couldn’t book online since it was such short notice. So I got up early early and packed my little cabin (again) and was able to get a ticket no problem. 

I wish I could have visited these lights during business hours, but I spent zero extra time at my cabin and was never close by during business hours. The tiny Wood Island Front Range Light is in the middle, to the left is the taller Range Rear Light, and to the right is the Wood Island Light.

The lighthouses behind me. 

We finally were able to drive our cars on up and I got to my fav spot on the top deck. It was cool, but I love being outside. 

I love these little fishing villages in each little town. 

I made some friends up top of the ferry, and they told me that one of the ferries had had a maritime emergency just a few days earlier. There was a fire in one of the top engines and they had to evacuate the ferry with those giant inflatable slides and fisherman from all around came with their boats to assist. You can see where the fire was right in the middle; and then where the slides were inflated. Then the ferry goers weren’t able to get to their vehicles for a week! Blessings that didn’t happen to me as I had places to go and things to see. And I’m so glad everyone was safe too, of course. 

And we’re off. 

I do love a lighthouse cluster. 

There’s a lady that is happy with her ferry decision. 

I discovered that I really like a picture from a ferry. Like really really. 

And obviously a lighthouse picture. 🤷‍♀️💕

Goodbye Prince Edward Island! I hope to come back someday!

I spread some of my moms ashes while on the ferry and it was the perfect spot and very special. 

The ferry ride was only 75 minutes, and then we’re coming upon Caribou, Nova Scotia, and the Caribou Lighthouse. 👆🏼 

I quickly came up with a Nova Scotia plan, because other than the temple, I had nothing. The plan involved a sketchy campground and a walk on a sketchy beach.

The picture above is the Pictou Harbour Rear Lighthouse, and below is the newly constructed light to replace the Front Light that had burned down. 

And I got to see both Lighthouses, so sketchy smetchy. 

I tried to get a better view by driving through a sweet little cemetery, but no luck. 

I knew I couldn’t come anywhere close to seeing all the Nova Scotia lights and I wanted to shower and clean up before going to the temple. 

So I googled Nova Scotia’s best lighthouses and decided on Peggy’s Cove. It’s just outside of Halifax, where my hotel and the temple is, and it looked so cute. 

Peggy’s Cove was one of the prettiest places I’ve ever been!

I joined hundreds of new friends that were also visiting, but I finally managed to find a place to park and walk up and into the village. They had the cutest shops!

And this beautiful lady watching over the village. 

There were performers taking turns singing for money and by far the most people I’d seen the whole trip. 



So happy for another clear and beautiful day. 

Our girls would love climbing all over these fun rocks. 



Cute village church and homes to the right. 

It was just beautiful everywhere I looked. I had been running for 4 days, and this was a perfect place to relax and plan for the rest of my trip. 

These signs all around were a little concerning, but the sea was calm and peaceful. 



I was ready for lunch and had 3 options at the Cove - a busy sit down place at the top, a lobster shack, and a hot dog cart.. 

I didn’t want to sit down inside, and one of the ladies I talked to recommended the pulled pork at the lobster shack, but then they were out of pork and I had already filled my lobster roll quota for life, I think. 

So I went to Peggy’s Dogs and I was not disappointed. 

She was the cutest lady, bare feet and shorts and so friendly and happy. 

I got the Foggy Doggy and added onions and peppers. It was so good I thought about getting another one but didn’t want to risk a tummy ache before the temple. 

I sat outside and enjoyed the amazing view. 

As I followed the road that hugged St. Margaret’s Bay out of town, I spied with my little eye a lighthouse. 

So so beautiful. 



Indian Harbour Lighthouse



And then I pulled over again for a better shot. 

I found my hotel and showered. I stopped by another grocery store before the temple and picked up a salad for dinner. 

I got to the temple nice and early and met a sweet friend whose name I no longer remember. 🫤 

I asked her if there was any way I could do an I initiatory ordinance before my endowment session and she promised to see what she could do. 
When the temple president showed up and unlocked the doors and she finally went in I walked all around the temple taking pictures. 

This is a small little temple, but such a blessing for those Canadian Saints. 

This peaceful day was so wonderful after the jam packed fun week I’d had. 

My friend came out and told me she’d taken care of everything, so I was able to get everything done with plenty of time. 



8:45pm, short drive back to the hotel and right to bed. I had a long day of driving coming up!



No comments: