Wednesday, November 2, 2022

North Cape Coastal Drive

One thing I didn’t do on this trip that I thought I would was eat really anywhere nice. Strangely I didn’t eat much at all. I was so enthralled and so focused on all I wanted to see and I hadn’t really planned food into the mix. The western route was so sparse, not a lot of people or businesses that even if I had time and wanted to stop to eat it would have been difficult. I could have ordered something at West Point, but they seemed pretty slammed with the 3 or 4 tables they already had seated, so I snacked in the Space Car as I drove. 

Another 20 minutes down the road was this squat little cutie. 

And then the sweet little fishing village of Howard’s Cove.

These pictures are making me so happy to relive.

The sun was setting and it was so peaceful just looking out onto the vast and cold Northumberland Strait. 



Another 40 minute drive and I was at the northernmost tip of PEI. 

This place was kind of creepy. There was a restaurant and gift shop, but both were closed. Then there’s a Wind Energy Institute, but no one was there either. Then a pickup truck came driving up and it was all so isolated so far north and I had no cell reception. I don’t know, a lot of the lights were isolated, but this one felt different, maybe because there are supposed to be people at restaurants and shops and institutes. 

This northwest tip marks the dividing line between the Northumberland Strait and the Gulf of St. Lawrence. 

I was a brave girl and walked all around, but I was pretty ready to get out of there. 

The Big Tignish Lighthouse is situated in a little park. 

There was a little ice cream shop there, but they were just closing things down. 

Then another defeat as I didn’t dare to drive further down a private lane for a glimpse of the Miminegash Lighthouse. 

Same with the Northpoint Range Light, but as I was turning around I caught the Cascumpec Lighthouse off in the distance. I tried all the private lanes, but if I encountered people or got a bad feeling I’d turn around. A girls gotta at least try. 🤷‍♀️

From the Community Centre Park where I saw the Northport Range Rear Lighthouse I got a better view of Cascumpec. 

And my last light of that Monday. 

#26

Another angle of Cascumpec with her cute 3 buildings all attached. 

I attempted one more light, but I was pretty sure I wasn’t going to be able to see it and it was privately owned and on private property, so I gave up. 

From this north western point it took me almost 2 1/2 hours to drive back to my cabin. 😳 Again, I would have stopped for dinner, but things were closed and nothing called to me. I was happy but tired and very done being in the car. But I accomplished what I set out to do and knew I wouldn’t have to drive that far again so it was all good. 

No comments: