Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Heading west

Continuing the PEI westerly adventure! 

I drove about 30 minutes out to Rice Point, where at low tide you can access St. Peter’s Island Lighthouse. 

Maybe I’d do it (ok, I would do it) if I had a buddy, but not when I’m flying solo. The first lighthouse I had to admit defeat on. 

Next up was the Leards Rear Range Lighthouse. 

That road took me into the sweetest little town, and to this cutie - the Leards Range Front Light, which is also the Victoria Seaport Museum. 

It wasn’t open, but that’s ok. She’s so cute!

Victoria-by-the-Sea is a quaint little resort town. Across the street from this harbor was a restaurant with the longest line, it made me want to get in line and see what all the fuss was about. But I wasn’t hungry so I settled for chocolate to take home from the little chocolate shop. 

Meanwhile, these crazies hit up the Bronx Zoo!

One more cute Victoria Seaside shot, and I was on my way!

So many private lights. This is the Wright’s Back Rear Light. 

And then the Front Light is out on the bluff. 

Then I drove to Borden-Carlton. I had downloaded all the Anne books and they were the perfect thing to listen to as I drove *literally* all around PEI. These are all the lighthouses, and I tried to see them all, and did a pretty good job at it, I might say. 

And this was the route I took this day. I started heading west and then started realizing how far everything was, and that I didn’t want to have to drive all that way again, so I made sure to finish the whole west coast so I didn’t have to drive back again. It got a little crazy, but I made it to the last light I wanted to just as the sun was going down. 

But I’m getting ahead of myself. This little cutie is the Port Borden Pier Light. The pier is private, so this was my best view. 

The Port Borden Front Light is in Confederation Park with a perfect view of the bridge. 



There it is! 8 miles long. Also, you only pay one way on the bridge, leaving PEI

Nicely done, Port Borden. 

And finally, Port Borden Rear Lighthouse. That place is a little lighthouse cluster. 

Gateway Village is right there too, so I walked over and checked some of the stores out, but it was all super cheesy. I love love that Anne is a big deal around those parts!

These sillies enjoyed Dippin’ Dots and Icee’s at the zoo. That and the train were their favorite things. 

About a half hour down the road I arrived at the Seacow Head Lighthouse. And a view of the bridge from the west side. 

I always like to take at least 2 lighthouse pictures, one with people and one without. It’s my lighthouse ritual. 

And if I can get different angles, all the better. 

I love the 3 windows in a row. 

I tried to get a view of the Summerside Range Front Lighthouse, you are supposed to be able to see the top portion from highway 112, but no luck. This is the Summerside *Outer* Range Front Light. 

And then I realized I’d made a series of errors in my Lighthouse venture. Because I had missed the one light, I had also missed a view of the Indian Head Lighthouse. Or so I thought. Because when I looked out to sea, there she was!

A non zoomed shot. A lighthouse miracle. Also, this is another one that says it’s accessible at low tide. 🤷‍♀️

I wish I had a running path that scoots around a cute little lighthouse. Love this. 

It was a bit tricky finding the SS Outer Rear Range, but I made it happen. It was just about rush hour and trafficky, so I pulled over and grabbed a quick shot. 

Then to deal with the second in my series of errors, I had to decide if I wanted to backtrack to another lighthouse I missed. When I made my list all the range lights and outer lights tripped me up and I listed them wrong, and then drew arrows to correct myself. But my driving self didn’t catch it and I passed the Summerside Range Rear Light. So I backtracked 10 minutes to get it. I am a list crosser offer through and through and I just wouldn’t have felt fully satisfied otherwise. 

Happy with my decision. 

Another 40 minutes down the road to the Cape Edgemont Lighthouse. 

All of the PEI lights look very similar, which was a little disappointing when I first explored, but I didn’t mind at all once I got out there. But it made the little differences really stand out and I loved the cute star on this guy. And the three windows, I really love the three windows. 

I drove through a little French town. I loved all the French signs. 

And finally, after a lot of hours and a lot of lights, my first climbable lighthouse of the day!

And I made it in time to climb. 🤗 it took me an hour to drive out to this central western point. 

Also, this is still a functioning lighthouse and loud as heck!

And inside the lighthouse on each landing there are rooms you can rent for the night. The West Point Lighthouse is a hotel and restaurant too. I wonder if the rooms can be quiet with how loud the light is though. 

I love lighthouse windows. ♥️

And another view with more hotel rooms behind the light. This is supposed to be one of the best beaches on PEI too, but it was cool and threatening to rain while I was there, so no beach goers. 





No comments: