Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Lucy Maud and Lighthouses

The next morning was rainy and windy and chilly. 
There were a few times I had my wipers on as fast as they’d go because it was raining so hard. 

I drove through the central part of PEI in the daylight for the first time and it was so beautiful.

It was an hour and a half and I really enjoyed every minute. 

My first Anne stop on PEI - Kensington Station. ๐Ÿ’•

I ordered a muffin at the cute little restaurant and mapped out my day. 

They had a craft shop and I bought a few souvenirs. 

About Kensington Station:

“Anne fans will instantly recognize the Kensington Railway Station, as it was featured in the 1985 Anne of Green Gables miniseries. The station is where a young Lucy Maud took her first train rides and pasted flowers from the voyages into her many beloved scrapbooks.”






From there I drove about half an hour through several cute little towns out to my first lighthouse of the day - Fish Island Light.  

This light is in the Cabot Beach Provincial Park, which is one of the best beaches on PEI. 

Of course, the day I was there was hurricane force windy, but I could see the allure on a nice day. 

And I loved this plastic mat that several of the beaches had. How nice to be able to roll out your beach gear!

I walked out to the sandbar and searched for treasures. 

And looked and looked and looked for the Malpeque Harbor Approach Light, to no avail. 

After I gave up on that one, I drove 15 minutes and stumbled upon this Malpeque Outer Range Rear Light. I was just driving and was like, oh! That’s a lighthouse!

I was looking for it but it snuck up on me. I drove to the Twin Shores Camprgound, where I would love to stay someday, it was really cute. And look, Pier Lane. The street I grew up on and where my mom still lived when she passed away. ๐Ÿ’•

I ♥️ Fairy houses. 

The lady at the campground office thought I was crazy, and wasn’t super sure about a lighthouse, but I wanted to check out the beach anyway so I pressed on. It started raining on my whole I trudged on and all I could do was laugh. 

And there she is! I knew I’d find her!

Totally worth the rain walk. 

She’s a lonely little thing out there. 

I had a really sweet experience out on the rainy gorgeous beach. This was such a good trip for me. 

I found myself a lighthouse picture in their camp store (and told them I found it!) and then headed for some Anne sights. 

First up - Anne of Green Gables Museum. 

This home belonged to Lucy Maud Montgomery’s Aunt and Uncle and was the inspiration for a lot of magic in her books. 

Like this bookcase China cabinet that became Katie Maurice’s home. 



Also, in this window was another certified letter from LMM (who went by Maud) that said this little pond was the original Lake of Shining Waters. Other lakes say they are, and there’s even one named the LoSW’s, but Maud said this was the original. 

“The Wonder Castle of my Childhood.” ~ LMM

I walked all around the grounds taking it all in. 

They sometimes do “Matthew’s Carriage Rides” all around, which I would have absolutely done if it was running. 

✨ 
 "I have always liked its arrangement better than that of any other house I have ever known. I only wish I could have a house of my own like it and I would be satisfied." 



Just down the street from the museum is the Senator Donald Montgomery House/Inn at Ingleside. 

Donald Montgomery was Maud’s grandfather and she visited him here as a child. It seems just about anyplace LMM spent any time on PEI is special and they will let you know why. And I’m not complaining, I loved it!



No comments: