Sunday, March 15, 2020

COVID log #1

Wednesday seems like a really long time ago. Our stake leaders had put together a list of things we should have in preparation for a possible quarantine, and on Wednesday I did some visits and lots of shopping. I went to Aldi, then Joann’s to buy yarn for our now cancelled stake RS service project. A sister had donated money, and I hadn’t purchased my donation yet, so it was fun to see how much I could get for my money. 

Addie and I participated in a fast with church members in Italy Wednesday afternoon till Thursday lunch. Well, I did. Addie fasted for dinner, which is as probably fine for a busy 6th grader. I belong to a Relief Society presidency fb group and that’s how I heard about it. So instead of grocery shopping and buying a treat during our time between horseback and dance Wednesday evening, we went to 5 and below. Everything was “too expensive” for Laney, who spends her money as fast as she can earn it and therefore had only $1. Looking around and v unimpressed. 

When I went to grab the girls after youth activities, Frankie was happy as a clam managing her little class. She loves babies and babysitting!

We tucked girls in Wednesday night and I could tell that something was bothering Delaney. We finally were able to get her to tell us that she just really missed Ellie. E had been home sick and D was missing her friend. Each day brought mourning COVID concerns as well. We’ve been very candid and calm with our kids, but there’s an underlying sense of something coming that we’ve all been feeling. I texted Sarah and we were able to get the girls together on FaceTime. They were cute and awkward. 💕

You know what’s not tense or  anxious? This handsome keeper! We miss him so, but are so grateful for lots of pictures and FaceTime. We all oooohed and ahhhhed and giggled when lex called on Friday to show how he pulls himself up and is sooo close to crawling. 

On Thursday dad and I talked and decided he should self quarantine, even staying away from our house, and us staying away from his. That was not a fun decision to come to, but we all felt it was best. Every day has brought new information and i was becoming more and more convinced that we all needed to do some serious social distancing. We talked about keeping our girls home from school, but social distancing is hard to do by yourself and we didn’t want to seem like we were over reacting. By Thursday afternoon it was announced that all Maryland schools would close for 2 weeks on Monday. We decided to give our girls the option to stay home. Addie felt like she should go and collect her things and any assignments she might have. She also wanted to see what the other kids had to say about everything. The little girls stayed home. I was able to get a friend to pick up Frankie’s 

By Thursday evening, the church announced all activities and meetings were cancelled. Announcements were coming at us fast and furious, but it was expected and relieving. It felt like we finally have a game plan we can all get behind. 

We’ve read tons of articles and studies and listened to lots of podcasts. We try to be discerning and well rounded with where we get our news. I tend towards people that don’t blow things way out of proportion and keep a calm head, and all my sources said social distancing will be key to keeping as many people healthy as possible, and keeping us away from the catastrophe Italy is experiencing. My favorite thing I heard was a comment that talked about our social distancing as a great act of faith. We believe that if we can unselfishly act now, we will all be better off. I’m all in. 

On Saturday we went for a walk and thought we’d stop and say hi to my dad. He was outside, so we decided to go for a walk. We kept a safe distance and enjoyed the beautiful spring weather and a nice conversation. #socialdistancing 

Saturday was also pi day, but because I took dinner to a friend, I was done cooking, so Frankie and Matt made a tasty pudding pie and we all enjoyed it. 

Matt and I watched Contagion after the girls went to bed and it took on a whole new meaning. We were like, “oh yes, a novel virus,” and “yup, social distancing, that’s right.” Anyways, good quarantine movie. 

And when I went to brush my teeth I saw one of the girls left me LEGO flowers. Awwww.  

Today was day 1 of virtual church. at 10:00 we gathered for gospel doctrine. The girls wanted to see how it was, and it was really cool! At 10:30 the youth had SS and we figured out how to see everyone, and that made it even more fun. It was really great to see so many friends and continue learning together. 

Addie had been asked to give a talk, and thought she’d gotten out of it for a few hours, but then Sam called and asked her to record it and share it with the ward. She talked about how the Book of Mormon came to be, which was cool because she got to touch on our trip to palmyra last summer. 

As we helped her write it, we came up with the idea to share some pictures from our time in the sacred grove and touring palmyra. Showing pictures wouldn’t be appropriate for a normal sacrament talk, but a virtual one? Absolutely! This recording was too far away, and therefore, too quiet. 

so we switched to this recording, and this time it worked. She and Matt added pictures to her video, and I think she did a great job. My philosophy is teach them and let them write whatever weird things they want, with some guidance. I think she did great, and it helped her testimony. 

We had virtual ward council and made lots of calls to ensure anyone that wanted the sacrament could have it in their home. Everyone I spoke to opted for social distancing, and I think that was smart since most of them are older. With addies talk, virtual SS, ward council, and all our calls, we didn’t end up having our family sacrament meeting until almost 4. we picked out our special glasses from my grandma for the sacrament. We said prayers and sang songs and then Matt blessed and passed the sacrament. I can’t remember the last time we had the sacrament in our home, and it was very special. We all shared our testimonies and then had a closing song, At home church gets an A+. 

The girls have been so good with all of these changes. They are obedient and want to do what is right. We are so blessed. 

I showed them one of my fav treats for when there’s nothing sweet in the house. It’s pb on a graham cracker sprinkled with chocolate chips. So then D made some with Nutella instead of pb. She made one for each of us, what a sweetie. 

We went for a walk to drop off some invisible ink notes to Sephie and came home for tomato soup and grilled cheese. Tomorrow starts COVID school, and we’re all pretty excited. 🤗

No comments: