Sunday, January 12, 2020

Resolutions and stuff

I love resolutions. I’m just a sucker for them.  But I am also loving giving my life some January grace and loving easing on down the road with them. I’ve got ideas in my head, just need to get them down on paper, so maybe I’ll start this week. We’ll see. 

Addie went to her very first young women’s activity on Wednesday. It’s bananas every time a child grows up, and this is real, real bananas. But here we are. 

A sister in our ward was in the hospital, so we did some juggling with them, and had their kids over Thursday evening. The kids got into the dress up and D has been loving on this homemade pioneer costume from my childhood. Adorbs. 

Addie sported a strawberry shortcake dress as a shirt, and everyone happily played. 

On Friday we finished painting our room. Another room down, 3 to go. Plus baseboards. But who’s counting. 

We laughed as Matt painted over Delaney’s sweet art work, and when I showed her these pictures she offered to make me another banner, but not with toilet paper, marker, or the wall. 😂

Our room is still in disarray because of the baseboards, but I bought us new bedding and I love it. Guys, we haven’t bought a new comforter since we got married. We got a comforter and down comforter for our wedding and then we were all like, let’s just use these for the next 13.5 years. Our old comforter is literally falling apart, it’s so well loved. I say “is” because I’m still not getting rid of it. Extra comforters are always needed, especially cozy old wedding ones. 

On Saturday Matt worked. I painted baseboards, did my hair, and kept the house running. I conditioner wash my hair once a week, but it is a process that probably equals as much time as other people spend washing every day. It takes so long and once I’m committed, that’s it. I’ve been a full curly girl for a year and a half now, and I’m mostly still happy with it. I do wish I could straighten my hair sometimes, but I’ve given myself 2 v random cuts, so idk what it would even look like straight. A mullet maybe? No telling. 

We had a regional training up at the visitor center at the temple that evening. Matt came up after he got off, so he caught the last 40’ish minutes of it. It was very good and very affirming because a lot of the ideas are things we’ve been doing for some time. Plus lots of other good ideas that I tried hard to share with everyone today. I ditched the Tripp van to ride hone with my bae, and we hit up Red Ginger for some delicious Asian food and a date night was had. Also, I v much miss our DC temple and cannot wait to worship in it again! Dari says it probably won’t officially open till next January, so just one more year, but the open house should be this fall. 🤞🏼 

Today the girls came with me to ward council. Since it’s at 10:40, and they are big girls, this shouldn’t be a problem to do every once in awhile. Then after church Addie practiced with the youth choir, so we got to church early and stayed late, typical day of rest. After, I dropped the girls off at home, grabbed some crackers, and headed to the St. Aloysius rectory (where the priest lives, a fact i did not know)for an interfaith Christmas concert debrief. It was a great meeting, and I think 2020 is going to be every bit as amazing as the last few years. This concert has grown into something so beautiful, I’m so glad Bishop Martines pushed his vision back when so many of us, myself included, were grumbling about how much work the concert was. It’s been so cool to watch the each years evolution, and it’s one of our cherished December events. 

It’s been 70 degrees all weekend and oh so magical. My pioneer girl hung out on the porch enjoying the unseasonable warmth as I put the wagon and horses away and prepared the campfire for supper.  

Addie went to her first bishop youth discussion this evening, and since Matt worked late (9pm and he’s still not home), Tony took her. She said it was “good,” and they played a game with balls that everyone had to touch before they got them into a bucket and the point of the game was just that. Upon further pressing the point was to learn about goal setting. I’m still confused, but she enjoyed her evening. We’ve completed all the reading for CFM all year, so basically we’re killing it. Pretty sure we’ll slay this week too. 

1 comment:

Alecia said...

The point of the BYD was the second part of the goal-setting process, acting and then reflecting. The game with the balls was them practicing how to act and then they discussed what worked and what didn't, in an effort to reflect. I only really know this from being upstairs the whole time and hearing a lot of it while crushing Emma and Brandon at a card game. :)