Sunday, September 4, 2016

White House Easter Egg Roll

Even though it happened in March, it was too cool not to blog.

We were at the zoo when we got an all call that tickets were available for the Easter egg roll. By the time I called Matt, he was already on his way and was able to get 4 tickets. We were able to get 1 more (2 actually but Chris couldn't/didn't want to go with us) and we were all excited! Our time was 7:30-9:30 so we had to leave crazy early.
Aaand it was raining. We got in line with 10,000 of our closest friends and waited.
We got herded unorganizedly through the many lines as we neared the security station.
Then we had some real excitement. Matt had to go to a different line because he had our bag, so after I went through my line, my phone was gone. The lady was like "I gave it to your husband," and I was like "he's not even with me," and she was like "ooooh." Then we stood there for a few minutes wondering what to do and feeling sick because it was seriously a mad house. There was no way I would ever be able to find my phone. Thankfully after about 5 minutes a man brought it back. He'd taken it thinking it was his wife's. Crisis averted. 

It was super cool being that close to the White House.
It was decorated really cutely in spite of the rain.
The kids were tired and wet and were kind of done before we'd even gotten started. They were open to fun, but it was wet, crowded, and high on the could-be-miserable scale.
First stop - Easter egg roll!
We managed to find some characters to pose with on our way. I honestly only recognized one or two characters.
There she is! Even though it was kind of miserable, it was really amazing to be there.
We waited and waited.
We didn't know what to expect or what to do. We were still in line at this point, but before and after we wasted a lot of time trying to figure out what to do.

This was our second Bo sighting. First time we saw him (her?) was back in 2009 when we first moved here.
This little west coast girl still can't believe she lives on the east coast. It's so awesome!
Addie and Frankie ready to go! Laney still asleep.
You see me rolling...
I don't think I realized it is an actual egg roll. With actual eggs and spoons. Not sure what I thought, but I was surprised.
When they say egg roll, they mean it.
Another mystery character.
I recognize this guy.
Still having fun, even if it was miserable.
<3 p="">
After some more wanderings and what should we dos, we headed over to the chobani station and made the most delicious parfaits.
And Delaney finally woke up! She had to have been wondering why we were torturing her all morning in the wet and cold.
We checked out a fun concert.
That's ok though. We made the best of it and it was really rad to be there.
Another one I recognize.
And another. Maybe I knew more than I thought I remembered.

Now that she was awake she was ready to do some obstacle courses.
They were so cute. So into it!
Addie took a tumble. (:
Happy and concentrating with that tongue out.
We tried to do some other activities, but it was getting close (30+ minutes) to our session ending and they wouldn't let us line up. That was disappointing. We spent a lot of time wandering and taking it in, and we really didn't actually do much. 
Then with about 15 minutes left of our session, we started noticing them obviously getting ready for someone to come out of the White House. Everyone gathered and it was all exciting... and then they announced that if we didn't leave then that we wouldn't get our commemorative eggs. THAT was a letdown. Through the cold and rain and wandering and missing out on activities, it all would have been ok if we could have seen the president or first family. But no. It still hurts. (;
It was still all ok. I'm grateful we got to go. And I'd go again in a heartbeat. It was a really cool experience. 

On the way out we grabbed some hard boiled eggs on a stick, and some candy. Frank's took this beauty.
How about faces now. There ya go!
Another amazing day living near the nations Capitol!

Oh, and last but not least, we did get to meet this cutie. Markus Halsti from DC United. So that was hot. I mean cute. I mean nice. (;

1 comment:

Lana said...

so fun! I'm totally jealous that you live on the east coast!