Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Baby gymnast, hangers, and frustration

Delaney had her first ever "official" gymnastics class this morning. She used to play all throughout Frankie classes, but that was before we took a year off to try out ballet. 

She was supposed to be crawling on the beam here, but she kind of slithered instead. And big sistah Frankie was having a hard time being patient back there. 
We started A and F with gymnastics at 18 months, so it was funny for me to see how timid laney was. By her age, Addie and Frankie were walking around like they owned the joint. Lanes was brave and tried everything out, she's just a little more reserved than big sisters were. Give her time though, we've only had one class!
Frankie loved it too. She went right in and never looked back. Thankfully we have coach Casey, who remembers us from when we were regulars, so I'm sure that helped Frankie to feel comfortable. I also didn't take one pic of her. It'd have to be done through the glass, and those aren't always the best pics. (;
Where's laney?
She was so funny about the stamps! She held her hands palm up and just insisted she wanted stamps there. Thankfully coach Casey set her right. 
We got miss Franks off to school, miss Laney down for nap, and miss lex visiting with a friend, and I tackled our closet for a few hours. I have a bit of a hoarding problem, it's just really hard to get rid of things I might wear someday. But I did! 2 nicely sized stacks worth. I also gave some things to Lu for Idaho, like my cute long pink coat. We are switching to wooden hangers, which is requiring me to really objectively look at every item of clothing I own. And how do I so often feel I have nothing to wear?!

At 4:45 we met up with Jodi and wade on base for family pictures. In the whirlwind that is getting your firstborn off to college in 2 1/2 weeks, family pictures were high on my priority list. 

It was a very trying 2 hours. Laney woke up from her nap at 4:25 and on the wrong side of the crib. She didn't want to eat, change, or get her hair done. I knew we'd be in for it with her, cause she doesn't bounce back very well aftrr waking up angry.

Then Frankie fell asleep on the way to Pax and she woke up on the wrong side of the car seat too! Then Addie done lost her mind. No one was listening. No one was smiling. At least 85% of the time it felt like we were herding cats. Treats were given, time outs were given, threats were made, promises were made, and still, to the very end it was difficult. They were playing in the sand, putting rocks on their faces, making weird faces, running away between shots, not sitting still, you name it. 

It's not that the pictures won't be perfect, that's just the season of life that we're in, and I understand and accept that. It's the total lack of listening and behaving. To look at me as I say something, and then walk away, oooooh, help me! I felt bad wasting everyone's time with time outs, although I probable just should have persevered on that one.  I had promised them some beach time when we were done, but when we were done (much later than we should have been if everyone was cooperating) we hightailed 3 very upset girls to the not-so-jolly green for home and bed. There were cries of "one more chance!" but no, they used more than their fair share of chances. So frustrating. :(

No comments: