Sunday, February 21, 2021

Day #344

Stake temple and family history day! I love a dedicated day for family history. I found this awesome newspaper article and picture of my beautiful grandma using her stage name Crystal Cook. 

We enjoyed sacrament meeting from hoke. We’ve switched to half the ward going one Sunday and half the next, and our turn is next Sunday. I bought a bunch of strawberries because they were on sale,  made some hot fudge to eat them as a treat. Matt found a huge one. 

We watched the new Spanish Branch formed, at least the part i could understand, and they haven’t called a RSP yet, so then i was done. We had our Sunday school and then everyone added a memory to family search and did a little indexing. The girls played dress up and made movies and then Delaney pounded ice off the deck and swimming pool. She has always loved playing like this - in dirt, snow, ice - she couldn’t just dig and break and have the time of her life. 

Addie spent some time searching around family search. There are so many cool features!

The temple and family history consultants held a helper meeting, so I logged in to get some help. My moms side doesn’t go back very far, only to my 2nd great grandparents. They were born in Germany, so it makes it more tricky. Lindsay offered to log into a breakout room with me and she explained some different ways to search. We found a great giant (916 pages!) book of German Lutheran church records with lots of my family in it and Lindsay tells me those are very accurate because they were recorded by the people involved and right after the event. I think I found the parents of my 2nd great grandma, but Lindsay is going to help me one day because German is super hard to read. My 2nd great-grandparents Peter Gustav Heinrich Fleischer and Sophie Christine Carstens back in 1881. 

It’s been a good day working on family history and I’m grateful for people sharing their expertise with me. And look at these cuties! I love the matchy matchy!

We had taco salad for dinner and then I had a meet and greet with our newest relief society presidency in the Capitol Hill ward. Their cute new president is a young single sister that works in the senate. She is timid and nervous but willing and hopeful and so sweet. They have almost 400 sisters in their ward, so they’ve got their work cut out for them, but I know she’ll be awesome. Then we met with the Capitol Ward and that was another great meeting. I can’t wait till we can get out there and get to know and really spend time with the sisters. It’s very exciting. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just an FYI Gary can read old German and modern day German.