Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Saturday, Sunday, and Monday

We had a white Christmas!
The snow started around 4:00 and didn't stop until Sunday.
When we were looking for a home to buy in Southern Maryland, our Realtor (along with many other people) told us it doesn't snow in Southern Maryland.
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

On Christmas day we had Mindy's kids come play with us while she worked, and then our friends the Elicio's invited us over for some (delicious!) appetizers.
So we decided to postpone our Christmas dinner until Sunday.

So, on Saturday evening:
Matt gave Addie a bath and they used his new bath salts that we made him.
(post to come)
When Addie came downstairs, her hair was so greasy!
I guess the oils from the bath salt made her hair super greasy.
It's hard to see with a picture, but here she is coming downstairs the next morning.
(yes, we left her hair like that overnight and yes, she dressed herself before she came out of her room)

Every naptime or morning when she wakes up she says "Good morning! I missed you!"
Love this face!


On Sunday:
We went to church and had just Sacrament Meeting because of the snow.
There weren't many people there and it was so cozy and the meeting was so nice.
As soon as we got home, Matt and I changed our clothes and then shoveled the driveway and sidewalk.
That was the first time I had ever shoveled snow.
Last year I was big pregnant with Frankie and before that I don't know how I got away with not shoveling. But I wish I could remember so I didn't have to do it anymore!
At first I was thinking, "this isn't too bad."
Then after about 10 minutes I wanted to be done.
And then shoveling the next day I really wanted to be done!
Here we are after we had finished.
It was still snowing and it had already re-covered everything.

Snowy kisses.
With a romantic truck behind us.

Our Christmas dinner.
On the 26th.


I tried something different this Christmas season.
I didn't stress about anything.
(at least I tried not to)
I never made cookies for teachers and neighbors.
Cards went out on the 27th.
Gifts did not get mailed. (or made for that matter)
I went Christmas dinner shopping early and then never really checked again to make sure we had everything.
Consequently, we didn't have whipped cream (and no pink fluff because of that), cranberry sauce, or sweet potatoes.
I didn't make pies early, so on Sunday I whipped together a quick cheesecake and decided to forgo the pumpkin and chocolate chip pie.
We still haven't gone out to look at Christmas lights.
We didn't do any of our advent calendar activities.
I didn't even do St. Nicholas day on the 6th!

My thoughts on my experiment:
I liked the not stressing part. A lot actually.
But it all felt a little off.
I like making things special for my family.
And for me, that means making a big deal about everything.
I like spending all day in the kitchen making cookies and trekking through the snow to deliver them.
I like making and sending gifts.
I like pink fluff and cranberry sauce and sweet potatoes.
Soooo, my goal for next year (and forever I guess) is to make things special, in my way by making a big deal, but planning and being prepared so I don't stress.
Easy squeezie, right?

Anyways, on Monday:

Alexis played (is it still called 'playing' when your 14?) with her friends all day.
I took Frankie to the doctor (no camera) and she weighs 19.5 lbs (75th %), she is 29 1/2 inches long, (97th %) and I forgot how big her head is, but I know it was in the 75%.

(I love the way everyone, even people at the pediatricians office, ooh's and aah's over my sweet girl. They say she should be the Gerber baby. She really is beautiful. Even though she's bratty. :)

Matt and I went on a double date with Mindy and her bf Rod. We ate yummy Mexican food (except for my Steak Tampiquena that kind of tasted like old cheese) and had a wonderful time.
When we got home it was bedtime and (surprise!) Addie didn't want to go to bed.
So she made herself a bed on the floor of the living room.
She had her pillow pet, blankie, Oscar bear, one Wiggle (without a shirt because Addie decided they needed a bath), and then Frankie's coat to cover her feet.
Here she is fake yawning.

And fake sleeping.

Then she decided to put Frankie's coat on her legs.

She's a hoot and a holler.

I am almost all caught up on blogging!
Someday I will print my blog into a book and I wanted to be sure all of the 2010 stuff went into the 2010 year.
Hence, day 2 of marathon blogging.

1 comment:

Debby said...

I love reading your blog and all the fun and special family moments you create. I made a blog book and I love it. I'm trying to finish up 2010 too for the next book.