Wednesday, December 29, 2010

End of year thoughts

(mommy and frankie. 4am. please excuse my hair and chins. oh, and i would like to eat frankies cheeks with a large spoon)

This is a post with kinda random, but all interrelated themes.
With some random pics thrown in because no one likes a post with without pictures.
Some people don't even read it if there are no pictures.

*****

I love me a new year and all the expectations and goals and tabula rasa-ness of it all.
I know some people don't like New Years Resolutions.
But I love 'em.
I'm so gonna be all skinny and smart and spend tons of time with my super smart kids giving service and having fun together and living in a super clean house with all my resolutions.

*****

It's been a rough year. I'm not even gonna go there and say things like
"Hope next year is more calm"
or
"Here's to a better year!"
Cause I'm just not.
I've done that before and that calm year hasn't come yet.
(does it ever really come? starting to think not)
This year our family has struggled and hurt and grown.
I feel like we're in the refiners fire (aren't we all!) and I just hope we all make it out in one piece and together.

*****

(please excuse the super glazed it's-4am-and-i-am-exhausted-but-love-this-baby-and-the-snuggling-because-she-never-snuggles-like-this-with-me-because-she's-so-big-and-always-wants-to-eat-instead look on my face)

*****

For months my little heart was heavy with worry. I wasn't even able to read my favorite "IlovemylifeIamsohappyIenjoyeverything" blog for a few months because I just didn't feel like enjoying the small things. And I didn't want to read about super happy, optimistic people while I was hurting.

*****

But I am kind of loving being in my thirties, because I am gaining this new self-awareness that's kind of mind-blowing. I still worry and some days just really suck. Totally don't have it all figured out, but I am learning about myself and those around me.
Like "Ooooooh, now I get why she did that! Now it makes sense!"
I am becoming.
And I like becoming.

*****

Becoming helps ease my worried heart. It helps feel less hopeless. It numbs my senses that are offended when the fruit of the womb act like teenagers. Like when they don't say "I love you" ever, even though it's been said to them at least twice a day for like, ever. I used to shut the door after shuffling them off to school and crumple in a heap and cry. But I am becoming, and I know, this too shall pass. And I'm okay. I can even read all my imaginary friends blogs again.

*****

So, here's to a learning, growing, loving, strengthening the family, spending more time with friends, serving more, happier, becoming a better person new year.

*****

With lots more pictures of feet.

(because addie was like "mommy, take a picture of my foot." so i was all "okay." and here it is.)

7 comments:

Lana said...

love the feet :), love you, thanks for being my friend and such a great example of a loving mom/wife/sister/woman

Debby said...

It is hard sometimes to remember that these trials we have will help us to become stronger. You are an amazing woman. So many of us are good at putting on our "Sunday face" or only posting good things that it causes us to think everyone else is just fine and has no problems or trials. It is hard to remember that this too shall pass, but everytime I do remember it, life is easier to handle.

The Ainas said...

Girl... first off... HOLY CRAZY BLOGGING MARATHON!! ;) I am so behind! lol Behind on my blogging and blog stalking!! ;)

And... don't trials just suck... well, until they are over and you learned a good lesson or something... but still, they suck. We've had our share of all that junk, but I won't bore you with all that! ;) *hugs*

Dyer Family said...

Someday, when my kids are teenages, Im gonna come to you and ask for you book of answers and solutions....so I hope you are writing it all down! Thanks for this post...I too worry myself sick over things that I just need to let happen as they may.

carlen said...

my favorite posts are beautiful heartfelt ones like this one that make you stop and think. you are so wise, sweet michelle! the easiest part of trials (and life in general) is reflecting back and realizing what you've learned and how you've grown...but it takes REAL COURAGE to stop and realize you are "BECOMING" in the middle of trials and to savor that bittersweet process too! because now...in the middle of it all...is when we feel things most deeply and have can decide how we are going to respond to life and humbly appreciate how much we need the Savior in our every-day lives! what you are doing is truly living! ...and you are an example to of us all of strength and beauty! love ya!

Shelly said...

You're so deep. You are a favorite of mine, I hope you know.

amy said...

i love you, henna