Saturday, May 22, 2010

Matt's birthday

Matt celebrated his 41st birthday in the middle of April.
I always find that a good way to show my love is through cooking for people.
So of course I had planned a special menu for his special day.

He didn't get breakfast because Old Navy was having a really good sale and a girls gotta have her priorities!

But these fish tacos for lunch were so good!

Then when the kids got home from school we enjoyed a delicious ice cream cake.

And presents.

I ended up returning this shirt. Oh well. :)


He also got flight time as a gift. I can't wait for him to take us up for a flight and a tour of Southern Maryland! He is so talented.

We were going to go out on a date for dinner, but some plans fell through and we weren't able to.

But I did make these delish little ice cream pie things for dessert that night.
They were a lot of work but oh so yummy!

Then a few weeks after his birthday, after Grandpa Ray came to town, we threw Matt a surprise 41st birthday party.

Last year Matt's birthday was not-so-fun. We had pulled into Maryland the night before his birthday. We didn't have a home so I wasn't about to buy any gifts to cart around to hotels. I didn't know of anything fun to do and we didn't have any friends here. So Amy watched the kids and we went out to dinner and when we got back to the hotel they had decorated with black balloons and crepe paper. Kind of lame for the big 40th birthday.

So I made a plan on that day that I would throw a big party for his 41st.

Then Frankie was born and I couldn't even function for awhile, and I really wasn't sure if I could pull it off. But Grandpa was here and willing to help and the big kids were willing to help, so I went ahead and sent out the evite a few days before the party. Thankfully lots of friends were able to come and we had a really fun time. And most importantly, Matt was surprised and had a good time.

And he felt loved.

Because he is.

Loved, you know.

I planned the party for a Friday that Matt had to work with the Navy up in DC. That made it a little bit difficult to know when to have people come over. It ended up that everyone got here about an hour and a half before Matt showed up, which was kind of a long time, but I thought it was okay because we had chips and salsa, queso, and pico de gallo for people to munch on.

We had a Mexican theme menu with homemade pork and beef tacos with all the fixins, refried beans, rice, and chips and dips. I also made Slush Punch, and for dessert a Trifle and Better-than-Shopping Cake.

Alexis and Christian helped clean all morning and then when I got home from Addie's gymnastics they helped decorate. They were huge helpers! And grandpa watched the little girls all day! He was a huge help! And together, we four pulled it off!

That night Christian positioned himself at the street leading into our neighborhood and when he saw Matt's car he called me. Then I gathered everyone into the living/dining room area so that when Matt turned the corner he would see all of us.

Here we are waiting.

Matt coming in...

Surprise!!!

"What is going on?!"

So about his outfit...

Since he worked on stinky airplanes all morning, he had changed into painted-on old sweats for his ride home from the Navy base and that's what he wore coming into his party.
Kinda funny.
And kinda unfortunate. :)

Of course I didn't get any pictures of the middle of the party, but rest assured that it was filled with lots of food and lots of fun.
Then here he is getting ready to blow out the candles.

Singing happy birthday.

Goofy Matt.

And we had a successful 41st birthday!

No comments: