Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Lights and service and DC

Some of yesterdays completed to do list items. We have this nook under the basement stairs that I used to store bins in, but we wanted to make into a reading nook for the girls, so I bought lights like 2 months ago and, as I do, never put them up. I finally did it and each of the girls noticed on their own and said how fun it was. 

Don’t ask home many times I hit my head. It was more than 5. 

When Frankie got home at 2 we got right to work painting my mom’s old dresser. This project has been on the list for, oh, over a year? Life and procrastinating can really get in the way! And Frankie’s looking so tough that I forgot I was gonna make a tough face too. 

Looking back - we went to Johnna’s Avon open house one night. ‘Twas the week before thanksgiving; and all through the house, every girls room was on upheaval with the summer to winter clothes transfer. Somehow I had around 30 pairs of jeans around Delaney’s size. A - she doesn’t need that many, and B - she doesn’t like jeans so she really doesn’t need that many. So in addition to the switcheroo, we got rid of lots. But we tore ourselves away from our projects and did some Avon’ing. 

That Saturday was our stake relief society service project. This was something we tried to do last year and just couldn’t get off the ground, and it almost didn’t again this year too, but thanks to the Calvert ward and their awesome experience and leftover yarn, we were able to make it happen. 

It’s a project for The Magic Yarn Project. They make wigs and hats for children with cancer. 😢 

They request very specific, very soft yarn and you use the boards you can see on the tables to cut it and kind of spool it out for the wig makers to then crochet it into the finished product. We provided a light lunch that Amber did everything for, and the Calvert RS had all the boards. It felt so strange to go to an activity I was in charge of and not really have anything to do but put up tables and then crowd control/mingle. We had around 65 women and we finished around 75 skeins of yarn at exactly the time we had planned. We had lunch out early so even those that had to leave early still got food. It was just a lovely, casual morning to serve together. 

The next day President Boyd and I spoke in the DC branch as we said see you later. They have been moved into the Washington DC stake, and though we’ll miss them, it feels right. It was actually a really beautiful sacrament meeting. 

President Boyd spoke first and explained that he tried really hard to keep them - he tried moving them from the DC building into our stake center, but apparently that’s really expensive and finally after much prayer his presidency felt it was time for the change. Then I spoke. President Boyd asked me to share the feelings of my heart so I talked about how change is hard, even when we know that it’s right and that because of the gospel, we belong. Because of our covenants we belong no matter what branch, ward, or stake we attend. Then their branch president spoke. He’s only been BP for a few months, so he still feels like he’s drinking from a fire hydrant. Then their new stake president spoke. They had their full stake presidency and all their stake organization presidents (we had almost the same) and he introduced each one and had them all stand up. He asked them to pray for confirmation that this decision was correct and made them a promise that they would do everything they could, including listening in humility to guidance and correction from branch leaders, to ensure a smooth transition and unity. And finally their new stake relief society president spoke. She tied it all together and said something about how of course the DC branch should be in the DC stake, like now they’re right where they need to be. It was just a really beautiful hand off.

The branch relief society president had told me before the meeting that she really wasn’t happy about the change. Their sweet little branch is tiny and super spread out - from the Pennsylvania border through virgina and Maryland, and they’ve been bounced from stake to stake, this is their third within the past 10 years. But after the meeting she told me not to listen as she told Pres. Monk that she was excited to get to know the DC stake. And instead of that making me sad that made me incredibly happy. President Boyd wanted a picture with our both sets of stake leaders. It was a really special day. And because we’ve been having quarterly area  stake relief society president meetings, I know Debra and it was fun to chat with her for a bit. And we’re going to talk soon so I can share all my mistakes with her so hopefully she can avoid them. 🤣

And finally, I feel you Barbara. Mind is more when I’m tired, but I’m not at my best when I’m hungry either. 



No comments: