Sunday, February 4, 2024

Trying

I’m trying hard to be consistent, which is not my gift. Although I am progressing so that’s what counts. 

We hosted a little valentine game night yesterday and managed to not take a single picture. Whomp whomp. The food, which is always my focus, was all cute a heart shaped - charcuterie board with pink, white, and milk chocolate dipped strawberries and pretzels and pepperoni and cheeses cut into heart shapes, with raspberries and crackers and salami and honey cherry tomatoes. I made homemade oatmeal cream pies (adding that to my cookbook), applesauce bread and lemon poppyseed (dyed pink, obvi), little phyllo caprese cups with soft mozzarella cut into hearts, chips and salsa (on account of salsa matching our color scheme), meatballs, and then adi made a delicious cheesy bread that she shaped into a heart all on her own. 

We played the newlywed game, Cupid, and a valentiney trivia game. One of my goals for the year is to host more, and so I’m not going to let perfect be the enemy of good. We didn’t do any prizes and the games weren’t as planned as I’d hoped, and 2 couples rsvp’d late so we didn’t have a chance to invite any others, but it was a lovely night with our friends. 

I cooked all day and then in the last hour it was all hands on deck and everyone helped. Delaney put together another one of her famous quirky charcuterie boards, it was very cute. Then Matt and I put it all away and did the dishes so we’d start with a clean house on Sunday. And that’s when we remembered pictures. Oh well. 

Delaney also went to a Strive to Be conference. She wasn’t happy about waking up early on Saturday, but I hear she had fun. Not from her, but others told me. We helped a new family move in, got our new retired dependent id cards and Delaney had another babysitting gig at our house. 

Also last week our precious Carter was in the hospital. He’d been sick for several days and then a boy at his preschool was diagnosed with RSV, so Lexi took him to urgent care where he tested positive and his oxygen was in the 80’s. The admitted him to the hospital immediately and they had to stay for three days. 😢 

I FaceTimed them while I walked and waited for Delaney ar ballet and he just whimpered the whole time. He was so miserable. 

We were all grateful when he started to feel better and was willing to eat again. Still on oxygen, but doing so much better. 

And finally on Thursday, home. These are the times that it’s the hardest to be so far away. 3 days is a long time to be in the hospital and I so wished I could be there. I’m going in March again this year and I’m so excited!

And finally, our latest puzzle. This thing was HARD! When we got down to the last few pieces they didn’t fit, and Matt and his minute detail oriented brain switched a few pieces around and voila, they all fit. I was just ready to call it good, but that’s where we complement each other. 

It’s been a lovely napping, friends, salmon for dinner fast Sunday. 



No comments: