Tuesday, June 11, 2019

For years now we’ve been talking about going to Lily’s end of year ballet, and finally this year we made it happen. We met up with Sarah and Abby at Panera (Abby chose) for dinner and then loaded up the Silver Bullet ballet bound. (and in spite of all of Abby’s worrying about their car, it all worked out! 😂) We made a point to talk all together, not just have it be big girls talking and moms talking. It was super fun to focus on just the bigs. 

Lily was so good! It’s always fun to spot friends in the show. Addie and Abby were enthralled the whole time, and it was all really fun to watch - especially the spiders. These 3 little girls have been friends for more than 10 years, and we want them to know that friendships are important and friends show up. I hope they’ll stay close. 

Our neighborhood had a big yard sale Saturday morning, so I wasn’t surprised to hear clomping going down my street. I grabbed my phone and grabbed a picture. Amish. Right here in the LG. 

I had promised Lisa (BEI boss) that I’d pick up boxes Friday, and then forgot, so on Saturday we had to run around a little before dropping the girls off at Aina’s at 2. 

They loooooove playing at their house, so it’s always a win-win (for the Rays at least!).

I met up with these 2 beauties and we headed off to the Bishops Storehouse. I had an order that needed to be picked up and Chelsea had never been. The Storehouse is full of essential foods that any member of the church can access through their Bishop or Relief Society president. Working with people and their finances is probably the most challenging thing I do in my calling, but it is an honor to minister to people in this very vulnerable time of need in their lives. I love the Storehouse and wish it was closer and I could volunteer there. 

Meanwhile... bubble karate?

From the Storehouse we loaded all the cold stuff expertly in the 2 coolers I’d brought, and headed to the Stake Center for leadership training and then the adult session of stake conference. We had 2 members from the 70 come and do the training. It was good and insightful and as these things often go, I left with some answers, and also some questions I didn’t have before. Matt met us up there after work and Tracie and I drove home with him. 

Sunday was stake conference and we got a new stake presidency. This is the first time since I was a child that I’ve lived anywhere long enough to see the calling and releasing of the same stake president, so that was pretty cool. 

Addie is graduating from 5th grade so we went through lots of pictures to find just the right baby picture to use. My heart!!!!

On Monday’s I tutor at 9, so I usually just drop the girls off at school on my way. We were all excited that at that point there were only 5 more days of school!!!!

D and the 1st grade book buddies spent time reading outside on beach towels. We’re all winding down!

I was in my room doing who knows what right at 3:00 when the girls are headed home, and I heard it start to rain hard. I grabbed my shoes, raincoats, and 2 umbrellas and rushed out the door. As I turned on Belmar I found 3 laughing girls absolutely drenched running through the rain. I gave them the umbrellas but it was way too late for any of that. They’ve never made it home so fast!


Lesr you think I made it out unscathed, I got wet too. 

The girls deposited their book bags and socks and shoes, and played in the rain. They were already soaked, so why not.

I made them strip down on a towel before hanging their clothes to dry. And I squeezed out about a bucketful of rainwater from their socks. 

Later at piano. I usually sit in the car and get things done (or do nothing) while they play and I thought this was a fun image of Delaney standing still. 

That night the ladies in the neighborhood went out to dinner to say goodbye to several ladies that are moving. I offered to drive since I’m the perfect designated driver, and had a truck full of Aussies - my fav. 

We were in a private room and it was SO loud. There were no sound buffers and I could hardly hear (old lady ears too?!) so that was challenging, but it was still a good night. 

I rarely go out with the neighborhood gals, but I always have fun when I do. 

We ate crab cakes and sliders and closed the place down. Then I safely drove my full jolly green home and made the rounds dropping off my passengers. It was fun. 

This morning, Laurel had a welcome to summer brunch, so I popped over there for a few. On my way walking home, I got a call from my doctors office saying that my strep test (that I took A WEEK ago) had come back positive and they sent a prescription in for me. I was like “but wait, I don’t feel sick anymore!” and she was like “lucky you, go get your medicine.” I wanted to be like “can you send me my results cause I don’t believe you,” but then I thought better of it. I did have some weird swelling on my back over the weekend and I remembered reading that strep or other infections could be the cause. So antibiotics it is. I just hope I didn’t expose anyone during the WEEK I was positive but didn’t know it. 😬

I did an assessment for a neighbors child (moms a nurse and was fine with my strep booty) and then let the girls each have a friend over. That was super fun, until it wasn’t. D was doing lots of screaming and when I went down to investigate I found that she’d gotten into the black paint at the art desk (again), which isn’t the biggest deal, (although I asked her last time to ask before painting) but she’d made a huge mess with it all over the new bathroom and towels, and had gotten some on the carpet. Now, I have known this was going to happen in theory, but in reality, I was really mad. And it feels like these things often happen when friends are over and it’s so frustrating. 

Tonight I stayed home from the rs additional meeting and Matt went to help with the davis’ move. Also talked to lots of family  and worried and fretted. It’s hard to be far away from people we love. 

Tomorrow will be a better day. 

No comments: