Friday, July 11, 2008

Our Garden

When we moved into our house we had a beautiful garden! It was one of the things that attracted us to this house. Then life happened...

Matt was working 80 hours a week and I was trying to figure out how to teach 31 third graders. We were a little overwhelmed to say the least. Anyways, long story short, we neglected our garden.

Then last summer Matt was working a ton again. So Alexis, Christian, and I took to the very weed-infested garden. It was a ton of work but we finally got the whole thing weeded. But we never planted anything.

That brings us to this summer. Matt decided to take to the garden while I was hugely pregnant and then breastfeeding a newborn 22 hours a day. He did a really good job weeding and - he planted! He planted about 10 rows of corn. (Every time he asked the kids for help with his corn I sang the chicken song from the old cartoon that goes "Will you help me plant my corn..." and then no one helps with anything, then when the cornbread is all done they all want to eat it but she doesn't share because no one helped her. Does anyone else remember that?)

Okay, got off on a little tangent there. When Matt's dad came he built us a sqare-foot garden and then helped me plant some veggies in it. It was so much fun! I had no idea it was easy! We also planted some pumpkins.

Now they are starting to grow and I had no idea how quickly they would sprout! It's so fun to go out and see everything coming up! So here are some pictures of the whole affair.

Here is the day we planted the square foot garden seeds.

Matt's corn!!!

Our square foot garden. It has cilantro, basil, radishes, and lettuce. We only got to half of it:) Can you tell which half?

Here are the strawberries that took over our garden last year! Those things spread like wildfire!

Don't we have a beautiful garden?!

One of my biggest regrets about our 2 years here is that I didn't do more with my garden. I swear I will at our next house though! :)

3 comments:

Dyer Family said...

Very Martha Stewart!! Im impressed:)

Anonymous said...

Thats great i remember last summer we had to go out every morning, when it wasnt to hot and pull weeds. I rememer when you guys made one of my friends Talynn go out and weed with us.
Alexis:)=

Anonymous said...

Veggies are nice...but do you know where I can get some twinkie seeds?