Sunday, February 14, 2016

Weekend getaway - part 2

Did I mention that this weekend was the coldest since last February? Well, it was. I would have been happy to laze around in our swanky hotel room, but alas, i married a mover and shaker, and even though he would have happily stayed in the room with me, I knew he'd rather hit the road. So we bundled up, and by 10:30 we'd hit the road. But first a few pics in the lobby.
Total jetsons style.
We decided to walk, and along the way take as many warm up breaks as needed. It was so fun walking through Chinatown.
Love all the architecture and details!
We were SO cold! We took a shortcut through the Museum of Natural Historty where the dinosaur exhibit will be closed until 2019. 2019, y'all. My Dino lover will be 9. I just hope she'll still love Dino's!
Our destination was the holocaust museum, because I had never been. It was take your breath away horrific, and they did such a good job of telling the stories. I loved this corridor of pictures. It's just so awful, but I was so thankful to get to go and really appreciate the complexity and horror of it. We stayed there until almost 3, so we had a good long visit to soak it all in. Matt's favorite, but favorite isn't the right word, maybe his most touching exhibit was the shoes. So many shoes. Blah, I have no words.
We talked about that somber experience off and on for the rest of the day. We were able to make a 3:30 reservation for fogo de chao, a Brazilian steakhouse. We had been there with mc's and streeters, and it has been in my top 10 dining experiences ever, so we were excited to go back.
This time it was good, delicious, (especially since we hadn't eaten all day!) but didn't live up to the legacy I had remembered.
We ate a ton of delicious meat! And Matt became my hero all over again. I can pack a whallop when it comes to eating. I'm no shrinking violet, but when I was feeling like I'd be sick if I ate another bite, Matt had just gotten three more pieces of meat. And then he killed what I had that I couldn't finish. It was impressive!
After lunch/dinner, we walked back to the hotel to get our car. It was SO. COLD.  My face was all wind chapped and splotchy, even though I tried to keep it covered. It was just bitter, bitter cold.

We headed back to the SMC. since we have late church this year, Alecia offered to keep the girls another night, and so we went home to a completely quiet house. It was just a wonderful weekend to relax and rejuvenate with my sweet hubs.

Meanwhile, at ODU:
Chris represented the US of A at the model United Nations. More to come on that!

And these fun friends from California visited lex! What a fun surprise to get this text! I love that we've been able to make lifelong friends wherever we've lived!

1 comment:

The Adventures of Smilin' Jack said...

It takes a brave man to sport a bow-tie these days. Kudos!!