Sunday, November 11, 2018

Route 66 - Check in

We are almost to the end of the Mother Road. It’s after midnight and i can’t sleep. We’re staying at the Wigwam Motel which is so cute and fun, but has crappy neighbors that have been bumping their music for hours. I don’t usually have sleep problems, but I’m away from home, exhausted, and drinking lots of caffeine, which doesn’t usually bother me, but maybe now is? Either way, maybe I can be a teeny bit productive with ma blog. 

It’s been a good, long, bonding, exhausting trip. I’m so glad we did it, and also ready to be done. It’s a lot of miles! Today we finished up Arizona and started out California. I miss the mountains and desert, not enough to want to live there again, but I definitely appreciate their beauty. We found a geocache at this scenic overlook and took this shot for our geocaching mom. 

Oatman, AZ is a funny, cute little town. Donkeys roam free and even come in the buildings sometimes. We had fun feeding them. Am I becoming a pet person? We’ve even talked briefly about getting a dog. What’s happening to this 40-year-old?

We stayed for the shoot out. They collect donations for the  Hospital, and have raised almost $100,000! It was fun (if a tad too long) and for a good cause. 

So far, Route 66 in California gets 6 big thumbs down. Crossing the border everything looked uglier immediately. It was weird. There’s not many attractions, not good signage, and a long stretch of old Route 66 has been closed for years because they are “working” to repair some bridges. We ate at the saddest little stop along the way “Baghdad Cafe.” I thought i had read it was recommended, but upon further review, it was just an interesting stop where a movie was filmed. And insult to injury, Amy’s phone stopped working. I’ve been using both phones all week to map and lookup different stops, I’ve gotten quite good at it, so to have hers, with the complete Route 66 app we’ve been following, suddenly stop, it made life a lot more difficult to navigate.

Easily the coolest thing we saw today in California was the Bottle Farm. It didn’t have much to compete with, but it was cool. 

And our cute little Wigwam room. 

Tomorrow we finish our conquering of the Mother Road. I’m hoping for more exciting things to see in California! 

1 comment:

The Adventures of Smilin' Jack said...

What a great trip it was. Exciting, fun and adventurous. And I couldn't have had two better traveling companions.