Wednesday, April 1, 2015

The day before

The day before the COH was a big working day. The ward had an activity to go see Meet the Mormons at the visitor center, so I talked grandpa and Matt into taking the girls. That left me almost the whole day to gather, buy, prep, and bake. That's totally my kind of day!

One of the things on the agenda was to pick up the cake. I had seen this guy a few months before the court and debated on getting it. Since I kept the refreshments pretty simple (simple meaning just cake and ice cream, as opposed to appetizers, etc) I decided to go for the cake as a showstopper, even though it was spendy. And i rationalized that Chris probs won't let me have a graduation party for him and I'll never pay for his wedding, so there ya go. I love the way the cake turned out! And the badges on the sash are exactly his badges and placement on his real sash. (:
I baked brownie and cookie cups and scooped ice cream in them to make little sundaes, made rice crispy treats, cookie dough balls, hot fudge, caramal (that didn't carmalize), butterscotch (that didn't thicken), and scooped 7 gallons of ice cream (to simplify things and have everything ready). Baskin Robbins worker, I am not. My wrist was pretty sore on sunday!

I also stopped by michaels and the commissary to purchase last minutes, and started packing all the things on my lists. 

I have the bad habit of trying new recipes when I'm serving other people. It's a very bad habit and makes me think I should have more foolproof recipes on hand. But even when I do, cooking for others is risky business. So Chris and brenna actually made these after church on Sunday, but this is a good example of my adventures in the kitchen. 
I gave them directions for these chocolate bowls, and they worked great, except that I forgot the part about spraying the balloon with cooking spray. That one little omission ruined the otherwise cool new recipe. Never a dull moment in the kitchen with me!
I worked up until the moment we left for the COH. I don't think I was so busy or nervous even at my own wedding! But it turned out wonderfully, so it's all good!

No comments: