Wednesday, February 16, 2011

balance

the theme in my life right now seems to be balance.

(forgive me if i've stolen this idea from somewhere/someone else. i find in my old age that sometimes i read something, then think about it for a long time, then forget where or even that i read it, and then it becomes mine. but if i remembered that i did in fact read/hear it somewhere, i would give credit where credit is due.)


yesterday was a nice day. except for the fact that addie and frankie sat in front of the tv all day. when they weren't napping that is. but i was able to get all the laundry, the girls bedrooms, our room, closet, and both bathrooms upstairs done. you might say, oh you cleaned the upstairs then? but then it doesn't sound like enough work. so i prefer the long drawn out version.

i struggle with this. i want to spend time with my babies. and when friends call us to play, we always answer. so sometimes i think i should let the house be. but then i really, really (i mean really!) like a clean house. a clean and organized house is like a breath of fresh air.but then i want to spend time with my family. so it's balance. lots and lots of balance. which is hard sometimes. but so very important.
my mom has a plaque in her kitchen that says:

"My house is clean enough to be healthy, and dirty enough to be happy."

and that's what i want my house to be. maybe this post could also be titled "ode to my mother." cause my mom also sent me this poem that i talked about the other day. love it.

BABIES DON'T KEEP
Mother, oh Mother,
come shake out your cloth,
empty the dustpan,
poison the moth,
hang out the washing
and butter the bread,
sew on a button and make up a bed.
Where is the mother whose house
is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery,
blissfully rocking.
Oh, I've grown shiftless as Little
Boy Blue (lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
(pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo).
The shopping's not done
and there's nothing for stew
and out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
but I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo.
Look! Aren't her eyes the most wonderful hue?
(lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).
The cleaning and scrubbing
will wait till tomorrow,
for Children grow up,
as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs.
Dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep......

~Author Unknown ~ 

i love that. i need to remember that. and to keep working on balancing.

in other balancing news, i heart attacked christian, alexis, and matt's mirror's for valentines day.
i've never done that before and it took waaaay longer than i thought it would. i was going to do addie's door too, but by 12:30 am i was so done cutting and taping hearts so i decided to just let her enjoy everyone else's.

i didn't think to take pictures of them immediately so this is after a few showers and some of my hearts had wilted.
~christian's bathroom

 ~lexi's

 ~and matt's mirror.
and yes, i am on the phone. yo auto!

 and then when i got home on valentine's day i found this on my mirror.
alexis and addie made it.
in the middle it says
"just a little thing for all the big things you do!"
love it.
ballanceeeee.

1 comment:

The two old crows said...

I did a needlework of a woman rocking her baby, and then gave the poem to my oldest daughter when she started having her family. She still has the picture in her kitchen.