Wednesday, August 28, 2024

Before school

We came home with 2 days till school started. Monday was open house day. I took Frankie and Delaney and somehow no pictures. I’m annoyed at myself, but I was tired. We liked all their teachers.  Delaney is looking forward to her easiest year of middle school, and Frankie’s core classes are a bit smaller to accommodate learning disabilities. We’re hopeful for a good year! Since Adi is a junior and nothing has changed, she didn’t want to go. 

Sister Hansen had reached out and said she’d be in town and wanted to come visit. I love love love when missionaries come back to visit. They are amazing and sacrificing so much and I want them to feel loved and appreciated and supported, so when they come back that tells me we did it. It was fun to visit with her and enjoy the spirit she brings with her. 

That night was a surprise birthday party for Steve Howell, and I love a good surprise. I also love the wildwood pool and also we’ve been gone so I was excited to see friends. Unfortunately it was a stormy evening and there’s a weird rule that you can’t be on the pool deck at all once there’s lightning, so the whole party moved to the gazebo nearby.

So much joy in this shot. ❤️

Delaney has been struggling in social situations. She just wants to stay home and read her book. How much autonomy should we give kids? I don’t know, but it feels like a pool party with friends should be a fun thing. Unfortunately she is often rude to others and goes off by herself. Gahhhh. She’s so lovely at home, which is where I’m really left scratching my head. She’ll be fine, I know she will. Just what to do with her now. 

Anyways, the kids got to swim for about 15 minutes before more lightning and that’s when everyone packed up. Whomp whomp. Though it kind of worked for us because we were tired. 

The day before school we always get together with the Darrows and have an adventure and get ice cream. Usually Mrs. Moo’s, but really any delicious ice cream works. Lily and Curtis had actually mentioned going back to Pot Rocks, and I casually brought it up to Alecia, but it’s still too fresh. šŸ¤£ I also found a YouTube video of a family that also got lost hiking to Pot Rocks and then said it wasn’t all that great. Maybe it’s only great when you accidentally stumble upon it? šŸ¤·‍♀️ Anyways, Alecia suggested Flag Ponds and I had been thinking of going there too so it was a plan. 

I came here once years ago with Lana and Colleen, but we hung out in the pond area. 

This day we went to the beach and it really is a lovely beach. 

The younger kids played in the sand, even though we didn’t bring any toys for hours and the big kids meandered. 

So many selfies I find on my phone. 

The bigs made their way up to the cars and sat in the car listening to music. That was Adi’s fav part of the day because she can’t wait to take a friend road trip and she said that’s what it felt like. 

The sand was pretty cool with all of the layers. 

Unfortunately all that week was unseasonably cool, so swimming was out of the question. We all wore our suits just in case, but it was a no go. I even wrapped up in a towel because I was chilly. 

So fun to catch up after a wonderful summer of travels. 

We went to Coldstone and let the kids pick whatever they wanted, it is a celebration after all. 

And that concludes our end of summer celebration.šŸ˜­ šŸ˜­ šŸ˜­ 

The rest of the day was spent gathering the last of the school supplies and cleaning out backpacks that should have been cleaned out in June. Preparing outfits and figuring out lunches, and then fathers blessings. 

I had aspirations to make a fancy back to school feast, but we ate giant ice cream cones in the afternoon and no one was really hungry so it was a fend for yourself night which felt strange, but I can still blame Summer. 



No comments: