Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Day #312-#319

Just for my future reference, i ran 630 miles in 2020. My goal is 1000 for 2021. 🙌🏼

Random home school scenes. 

The girls do their school wherever is comfortable. Amy makes sure her kids are dressed and seated at a desk. And neither of us is right or wrong. We’re all figuring out what works for our families. Aaaand, that has changed and could change again. 

A dose of Cade and his mini me cuteness. 

Lexi has been feeling pretty poopy, so these two have been hanging out a ton. He’s a total daddy’s boy. 

We took this picture at exactly 9:21pm (21:21) on January 21, 2021. 🤗

On Friday we all went shopping. We went to Dicks, where I accidentally bought men’s snow pants, Walmart, and Aldi for trip food and supplies. The girls were SO excited. They had a whole pretend plan that we’re taking a flight and they made boarding passes and menus. It’s pretty cute. 

Saturday was the adult session of Stake Conference where I was invited to speak. Matt and I were excited for a date night and he especially wanted to eat at Silver Skewers in Waldorf. We called ahead and found that they were closed for indoor dining, but that was fine, we’d just eat in the car. Everything was fine for a few minutes, and then I went to put the vinaigrette on the salad, and I spilled it on my new shirt. Ahhhhh! For a second I wondered if I should just roll with it, I mean, maybe it wouldn’t be seen by the camera? But no. The stain was high and long. 😩 thankfully we’d left plenty early, so we packed up our food and I ran in to Target. I grabbed every shirt and dress that was even sort of cute and ran to the fitting rooms, and then they were closed. 😩😩 plan C - I bought everything, ran to the bathroom and thankfully hit pay dirt with the first dress I tried on. I opened up my stall to check myself in the mirror and a lady washing her hands told me it looked cute, and then she got to hear my whole ridiculous story. She was very nice about it and reassured me that it was a cute dress. And it was more comfortable than my original outfit, and we still had plenty of time to eat and still got there early.🙌🏼

At the stake center was the stake presidency, a high counselor (Brother Barry, who is over RS) and his wife, 2 high counselors over technology, Pres. Bracey’s wife, and Pres. Boyd’s wife and parents. 14 total. Covid life is so weird. When I sat down by Pres. Boyd he told me that the member of the temple presidency and his wife that were going to speak before me had both been exposed to covid (by the temple president 😬), so it would just be me and Pres. Bracey speaking. That wasn’t a problem, except that I’d invited several people to listen to my talk, and most ended up missing it because I spoke 30 minutes before I was initially scheduled to. Oh well. 

As I study my scriptures, I am often inspired with ideas for talks, so I have a running list on my phone. When Pres. Boyd invited me to speak, I felt prompted to which talk I should give, then I just padded it out and found the right scriptures. I talked about “not yet” answered prayers, and how to anchor to the Lord by better understanding and utilizing the power of our covenants, finding joy, and waiting on the Lord. It was a tender experience and I’m grateful for the opportunity. Of course, Friday and Saturday I started doubting myself and what I could possibly share with all the adults in the stake, but I’ve gotten pretty good at working through those negative feelings. Pres. Bracey gave a really great talk too, and then we finished a little early, and that’s never a bad thing. After, Matt and I got sundaes at Baskin Robbins and ate in the car again, and I didn’t spill anything on my new dress. 🙌🏼 All in all it was just a fabulous night, in spite of the greasy shirt. 

Also, one of my favorite memes grew up. 😂

Sunday was the rest of Stake Conference and it was wonderful and relaxing to watch from home. The girls colored and drew and we all loved the Hamilton references in one of the youth speakers talks. We had butter chicken for dinner and it was a wonderful Sunday. 

Monday was all trip prep. Also, Alli exchanged Mario Party and we were finally able to play. It’s a bummer when your Santa gift doesn’t work, but Alli figured it out and everyone had fun playing. 

The girls wanted to wake up and leave for our trip at 5am. They wanted to stay in their jams and go back to sleep in the car. I remember loving to leave early as a child too. Being in the car with my family always felt so safe and starting off a trip is so exciting, so I get it. Unfortunately, we had icy conditions Tuesday morning, so we decided not to leave till later in the morning. We managed to get breakfast and the jolly green packed up and on the road by 9:00. Matt packed the car and it was a little messy. 😂

I don’t love crossing the Nice Bridge on a clear day, but an icy and cloudy day is extra blah. Also, they are building another bridge and I think it makes it feel even creepier. 

We had a nice drive and no weather problems. Don’t mind the terror in my eyes as we stood in the middle of the road, the jolly green pulled onto an icy shoulder where we slid as we stopped. You can’t even see the West Virginia sign behind us, so I’d say #notworthit. 🤦‍♀️ 

We got to Canaan Valley by 1:00 and I dropped the crew off at the mountain. 

I was able to check into our cabin straight from there. It’s only about a 5 minute drive. These deer were just hanging out as I pulled up. They had no fear, they would have eaten out of my hand if I’d tried. 

There’s not a ton of snow, and on Tuesday it was close to 50°, so that’s kind of a bummer. 

Matt and Delaney have been buddies, and Addie and Frankie.   

The lifts closed at 4:30, so I picked everyone up, we ate microwave burritos, and then headed to the lodge to swim. Delaney grabbed her coat as she went to her room to put her swimsuit on, and she was being funny about it, so I checked her pockets. This girl. 🙄🙄🙄 We talked about how taking  20 sugar packets, even though they are free, is not a good idea, and kind of like stealing. What was she even going to do with all these???

We were the only people in the pool, so that was pretty sweet. 

We stayed for a good 2 hours. 

Almost 9-year-old swimming!

The cabin has 2 rooms, so Frankie and Delaney got the bedroom the first night and Addie slept on the couch. They have been so good! They said they were so grateful for this trip and they wanted to be really good because of it. 💕

We had eggs and pop tarts for brekkie and then I dropped the crew off. 

I went shopping in search of ladies snow pants, but to no avail. Maybe I’ll snowshoe next trip. 🤷‍♀️ I bought firewood from the cute little shed that goes by the honor system which I think is pretty sweet. 

I bought a box of hot chocolate from the cute little Canaan Valley Store and then headed home to our cute little cabin. 

Big girls. 

Enjoying hot cocoa on a break at the lodge. 

Matt texted me around 2 and said Delaney was done, so I picked her up. She was waiting outside the lodge for me, and walked down with all her gear looking so grown up. Matt came outside when I got there, so she wasn’t alone, but she sure looked cute and grown up. 

We stopped by the lodge and bought a pre-birthday treat, just my baby and I. 

I heard all about their day. Their $3 hot chocolates, how Timber is their favorite hill, how she dropped her glove off the lift but found it right away, and how she wanted to go out and play in the snow. 

And that’s just what she did. She went out and played all over our yard and all around our cabin. These girls have always been so good at entertaining themselves. I told them that when i picked them up. It’s so important to like yourself and like being alone, and they do. 

Alli sent this picture of papa and his furry grand baby. He loves her. 😍

I made spaghetti and salad for dinner and then we went back to the pool. We were by ourselves for the first half hour, then a family of three came, but only the daughter was swimming and we were able to keep a distance. Then a family of 5 came and parked it in the jacuzzi, which is where I also like to park. I was able to talk the girls into 15 more minutes and then a cozy fire in the fireplace and a movie. We showered there, thankfully they gave us shampoo and conditioner since we forgot to bring any (also forgot salt and pepper, croutons, and extra blankets), and then Matt made a fire with  my wood shack wood. 

Also, in case you ever wondered what is in an 8-year-olds toiletry bag, here it is. Makeup, hair chalk markers, lotion, and perfume. She also brought her toothbrush, paste, and floss, which she did between her big spaced front teeth yesterday and cracked me up. 

Tonight it’s cold cold, but we are cozy, cozy. 💕



No comments: