Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Day #307-#311

I can’t remember what this pic was about, maybe Nutella joker face? 

Papa had a stint in the hospital over the weekend, so Friday evening we tidied up his apartment (it was clean, but we deep cleaned), dropped off a few things to him, no visitors at the hospital, and treated ourselves to McDonald’s for dinner because of our stressful day (hospital stays are no fun for anyone). 

MdD’s for dinner was a bad move. For one, obvious reasons. For two, Saturday morning was my half marathon. Jess, Nanci, and Sara invited me to run a half marathon with them, and as I have mentioned before, I’d  been on the fence about running, but i found it was a good excuse for me to keep running when I didn’t want to, so I decided to go for it a few weeks ago. 

This was by far my hardest run ever. If I had been smart, I would not have given blood 3 days before a long run. I also had my lady time, so I was seriously low on iron, and didn’t do enough to replenish. I’m not as young or thin or toned as I once was, and all my bad decisions culminated in a v difficult morning.

We met up at Baggett Park at 8:30 and started running at 9:00. 

Jess brought these little cones for the starting line. And we were off!

Sara went all out! It was her first race and she really made it legit. I envisioned us running and keeping track with our apps and high fiving when we were done. But she went all out. 

Jess and Nanci both suffered injuries that kept them from running, but they both came and cheered and helped. Jess made all these cute signs!

And Nanci rode her bike over 20 miles mapping and marking the trail for us. 

It was cold, grey, and windy, but it’s always fun to run somewhere new. 

The little cheerleaders were so cute! 

Nanci had set it up so our families were there to cheer us on at mile 4, 6, 8, 10.5, and then the finish line.

It was so fun and energizing to see everyone so often. My crew has never come to a race, so that was fun too. 

Three Notch Trail is so great. I so wish we had more trails around here!

I was able to text ahead what I’d like at each stop, though I only did it once. Addie had my water ready for me to grab. Didn’t want to ruin my time by slowing down. πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‰ 

And my granola bar was zipped safely into the pocket of my water bottle. 

We turned around at 10.5 miles and finished at the Charlotte Hall Library. 

I was so wiped by this point. 
Sara rocked it and ran the whole thing. I ran the first mile with her and then did my run/walk - 1:30 run, 30 second walk. This helps prevent injury and makes running more pleasant for me (Matt hates it). Sara finished in 2 hours 24 minutes. πŸ€—

I was so exhausted. By around mile 11, I couldn’t run 1:30 anymore. I switched it and ran 30 seconds, walked the rest and tried to sprint and speed walk. If everyone wasn’t waiting for me, I would have walked the rest of the way. It was real, real hard. This stretch about did me in. I jus couldn’t bring myself to walk during the last stretch when everyone was cheering, and I swear I almost died. (my drama was still healthy) I finished in 2 hours 31 minutes, so only 7 minutes behind Sara. 

Feels so good to be done! We put our coats on, ate bananas, and visited. 

We watched the Amish drive by and the kids ran around and played. It was fun to see everyone and catch up. 

I’m so grateful for good friends that push and encourage and serve, for a healthy body that can give blood and run miles and miles all in one week, and for a family that pampered me all the rest of race day. I ate curry in an epsom bath, took a nap, and watched a movie. I felt gross all the rest of the day, so I put myself to bed by 8:00. 

Chelsea dropped off a gift from Laura that evening. When I was in Utah last year, we looked everywhere for a hat. I’ve been collecting state hats. 🀷‍♀️ I don’t know, it just kind of happened, and I’m such a list checker offer. Anyway, we never found a hat in Utah, so Laura asked Chelsea to make one for me for Christmas. πŸ’• I 100% did not think she remembered, I didn’t even really remember, and that made it so special. I miss their family so much, and this was such a sweet gift, made me feel so loved. 

I didn’t feel great Sunday either. I had my first Stake Council meeting from 7-9, and gave the spiritual thought. It was a good learning experience and very long and I am grateful they will be held monthly now instead of quarterly. After SC, I took a nap, since I’d been up since 4. 😩 We had at home sacrament meeting since someone from the other ward had tested positive for covid and they closed the church for 2 weeks. It was a lovely, quiet sabbath. We read some of the book Saints as a family and the girls really loved it. 

Monday was a day off for MLK day. We love days off from real school and also home school. We walked to the not so much wooden park and played with the Aina’s. It was cold, cold, cold! Addie requested this picture and I never say no to picture requests. 

They looked so funny biking home, this gaggle of girls on bikes. 



That night auntie Alli taught a proper hair washing class in our shower. Having giant showers and bath tubs comes in handy sometimes. I’ve found kids need to be re-taught proper hygiene at many points throughout their childhood and adolescence, and it was nice for someone else to tag team teach them. 

D looked so cute and grown up after her shower. 

The covid vaccine rollout has been slow but is going. Healthcare, people over 75, and educators are being vaccinated now. My Dad will be eligible on Monday, and as it turns out, as a tutor, I am eligible under the educator umbrella. I struggled with accepting the offer. I won’t tutor in person because my student is in private school and they aren’t allowing any visitors in building. So it won’t affect me where my eligibility counts. I would like the vaccine, but don’t want to take it from someone that needs it more. I talked to the center owner today, and Matt, and prayed, and I decided to go for it. Then President Nelson posted about receiving his vaccine today, and it feels like confirmation for my decision. I also got my blood test back from the Red Cross and I’m negative for antibodies. This is a good thing, although with Christian testing positive, I really thought maybe I’d be positive. 

I sat across from delaney this morning as she worked in school. These kids are so great. Working hard during this weird time. 

I just watched and sniped some pics as her little brain worked and worked. She was so occupied, she didn’t even notice. 

I’m cleaning out the fridge again. We ate baked potatoes, garlic bread, and chicken pinwheels for dinner. Marvel marathon continues with Doctor Strange tonight. So many movies I’ve never seen and such a nice distraction from the monotony and dreariness of a covid January.  

I was reading scriptures the other day and had looked up a question that took me to an old 1978 Ensign article that I listened to. As soon as it was finished, it rolled right into the next article that was called The Berlin Miracle. I bookmarked it because the girls love learning about miracles and also emergencies. I went to my Gospel bookmarks tonight on my phone, and Addie saw the Berlin title and asked if we could read it. It was a beautiful, faith filled story from World War 2 and I basically cried the whole way through reading it. The girls were riveted and it was just a really cool experience to have found such a lovely story that we all really appreciated, and in such a random way. πŸ’• God knows and blesses us in so many ways, big and small. 

No comments: