Thursday, November 5, 2009

This season...

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

Ecclesiastes 3:1

I've been thinking a lot lately about this season in my life. There are so many things I'd like to do, to see, and to be. But often times the answer to what I think I want so much is -
not at this season of your life.

And you know what, that's okay.
Because at this season I have so much.

At this season in my life I am teaching how to put on make-up, deoderant, and socks.

I am changing diapers, cleaning grass stains off pants, and learning how to tie cheerleading bows.

In one day alone I get to go to toddler story time, playgroup, baseball practice, Scouts, cheerleading practice, and Young Womens group at church.
It's such a full life!

At this season I am working hard to have regular date nights with my sweetheart, family nights with our children, and girls nights for my sanity.

I am buying sippie cups, basketball shoes, and gymnastics tumbling gear.

At this season I am cleaning floors, only to have them spilled milk upon and tromped upon by dirty shoes.
Lots of dirty shoes.

I am planning memories. Day trips, weekend trips, long weekend trips, and week long ones.

I am planning meals, holidays, traditions, and gifts.

At this season I get to be the mom.
The one that everyone comes to for permission, money, clarification, acceptance, and love.
An overwhelming job for sure.

In a lot of ways I get to be the center of this little families universe.

So even though it sometimes doesn't seem like it...
this is my season.

My season to raise up a family to the Lord, to love and to be loved, and sometimes to give more than I think I can give.

And even though I can't always do everything at church, or at the kids school, or take every class or trip I'd like, this is a beautiful season.

This is the season of my life now.

I love this season.

I do.

At this season I am helping babies take their first steps and watching as teenagers take their first steps away from me.

So I'm going to enjoy this season. I'm going to soak as much of this season in as possible.

Because this season is so fleeting. It seems like before we know it we'll be helping some to college, some to missions, and some to their first days of school. Then that will repeat and we'll be helping some with weddings, first jobs, and high school all over again. Then we'll be welcoming the next generation of our little family. 

Then I won't be working so hard for date nights with my sweetheart, family nights with our little family, and girls nights out for my sanity. I'll be working for time with my grown-up babies and grandbabies. For family reunion trips and holidays together.

And I realize again...

I love this season.
I appreciate this season.
I want to remember everything about this season.

Because...

"He hath made every thing beautiful in his time:..."

Ecclesiastes 3:11

11 comments:

Heather B said...

Thank you for this. Amen, and amen.

Shelly said...

Michelle, I love you so much. I have tears, I'm all choked up. I needed this more than you know.

Lana said...

that was really beautifully written and so true. Enjoy! and thanks for the good reminder.

~Lori said...

LoVe this post Michelle!!

The two old crows said...

Being a Grandmother I needed this post also. Very well said.

Joy :) said...

Michelle this was really great to read, thanx.

Anonymous said...

well,well best bud, very nicely put!!! Thanks for the wake up call, love ya

Debby said...

Wow! This is truely profound. We often times forget about the seasons of our life. Sometimes I feel guility because I can't do something, but I need to remind myself that it is just not the season for me to do somethings. Thanks for the great reminder.

The Ainas said...

That was awesome. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle,

Allyson loves your blog because it makes her feel close to Alexis. She missed her a lot. Sometimes while she reads your blog, I get to read it with her. That is how I got to read this beautiful season words....thanks for it. We moms have such a bussy schedule that we forget the importrance of our job. Your words made my day.

thank you, so much......
Iris Bishop

Martines Family said...

Love it. I am there too but you put it so beautiful. I so love life right now too. It is such a gift.