Monday, November 30, 2009

Thanksgiving 2009

I was so sad to send everyone back to school and work today! We had a wonderful 5 days off together. And a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday. And a lot to be thankful for!

Last year Thanksgiving was... a learning experience. It started with Matt and I taking a loooong walk and then relaxing and watching the parade. I didn't even start cooking till 1:00! And then I thought I would make a real "home cooked" spread that everyone would love... ha! I made everything from scratch, from the cranberries to the cornbread for my cornbread stuffing! Needless to say we ate very late, no one, especially not the children, was too impressed by all of my home made endeavors, and I was exhausted (and maybe a little bit cranky).

Christmas dinner cooking was better. I enlisted more help and started earlier.

But this year, this year, I figured it out! I organized and had written down all my dishes and how long they needed the stove, oven, and prep. I did what my mama always did and baked my pies on Wednesday. I also made my Pink Fluff - that I realized the kids don't like because as Christian put it "It has that chunky sour cream stuff in it!" (cottage cheese!) - and my super cute cheeseball that Lana taught us to make, which were the only other things I could prep early.


I casually worked on dinner all day. Matt fried our turkey again, he's getting to be a pro! We realized that he has fried turkeys in New Mexico, Texas, Colorado, California, Washington, and now Maryland. We're such globe trotters! ;)

That's some hot oil!

That morning the ward had a Turkey Bowl at the park down the street from us, so we went and checked that out. I took some pictures and then Addie and I came home. Matt and the big kids had fun playing football and getting some exercise.

The kid game.

Isn't that fog awesome?!

My manly man!

Addie was such a good girl while everyone was out! She loves to sit on her little bench and read to all her babies. She's such a little mama!

We had invited friends to come over for pies at 6:00, so we had a goal to eat by 3:00. After some last minute puttering around we sat down to eat at exactly 3:10. :) Everyone pitched in and everything was put away and clean by 5:00. No naps were to be had (except little Addie), but it was still a lovely day!





By 6:30 we had a house full of wonderful friends. Of course I didn't think to get the camera out! We had at least 15 pies, it was wonderful and delicious! Everyone left by 8:30, the kids disappeared, Christian to spend the night at Ryans house, Alexis and Robin to our basement, Matt put Addie to bed and I tidied one more time, and then it was time to rest and watch Matt Lauers special. Such a wonderful day!

3 comments:

Lana said...

sounds perfect, I thought about you guys and wished we were sharing pie with you that night :)

Joy :) said...

Wow, that's a day full of fun. Sounds like it all was so nice. Still miss you guys.

Shelly said...

My mouth is watering at that turkey. I want Dave to do that next year. I just love the crispiness! Oh ya, and all your other pictures are great and wonderful too. :o)