Friday, November 27, 2009

Living in an Amish paradise

We live in Amish country out here and I love it! I am still amazed when I am driving along and pass an Amish wagon! We've got a couple Amish farms right here in our town and many more within a short drive away. I get excited when I see them at the store or the doctors office and I would love, love, love to make friends with some!

They make delicious baked goods and jams that they sell at farmers markets or in little stores they own. All summer they would take their wagons or vans (some have vans or trucks for work) and park them on the side of the road and sell their fruits and veggies, all organic and delicious! The Maryland sweet corn is seriously the best I've ever had - it doesn't even need to be boiled, it's that good!

They also make the best furniture, or so I hear. And that's why all I want for Christmas are two black, Amish made rocking chairs for my front porch. (feel free to pass on this message to Matt, I know I have!)

I did a little bit of google research to find out a little about our technology shunning neighbors and found out that they don't like to have their pictures taken. One website said it has to do with the 2nd of the 10 Commandments and graven images. I don't know if that's why or not, but I respect that and have not taken any pictures of the actual people. But I hear their wagons and goods are fair game. :)

Sharing the road and the rain.

Up close.

Cute little Amish market. They sell fresh fruits and veggies, canned fruits, veggies, and jams, baked goods, cheeses and butters, aprons, and cookbooks.
I was seriously tempted to buy an apron!

But I settled for these. :)
And while I would love to say I took them home and shared (which was my intention all along), I'm sorry to say they didn't last past our errands and playgroup that day. :(
The baby was hungry!

Hopefully our next visitors can rock on our front porch and enjoy the fine Amish workmanship with us. :)

2 comments:

The two old crows said...

I love shopping at the Amish and Mennonite markets. They have such fresh produce and I love their baked goods.

Dad said...

You guys found the Paradise that your Mom and I were looking for when I first joined the Army and chose Fort Monmouth as my first duty station. BIG error. I do love your posts and learning more about Maryland.