Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Healing

On Saturday our baby boy got married. He will be deploying in late May, and it makes financial (and lots of other ways) sense for them to get married. Alexis and I offered our quick Mormon wedding planning services - 6 months is forever! - but they decided to have a small wedding now and a big wedding later. As a mom I’ve learned to give advice when asked or prompted, and then to love, love, love. So that’s what we did. Being the grooms mom is v v different than the brides, so we didn’t get details till a few days before the wedding, and it was all fine. It was a lovely day and everyone was happy. 

The girls decorated cans and Alli and I attached them to Jeanne’s car and wrote all over it. The cans lasted about 50 yards. 

After, we all went to Ruddy Duck where those sneaky snooks paid for everyone’s lunch. They are good kids. 💕

I went to the Calvert and Bayside wards on Sunday. Calvert got a new bishop, so that was a fun day to attend. It was my first time in that ward, and now I’ve got 9/10 done. Crazy that after over a year I still haven’t been to every ward, but Covid. I had a lovely and long day and came home exhausted. I have spent so much time at home, i think I’m becoming more introverted, or maybe it’s just due to circumstances,  but being around people for 4+ hours where I don’t know a lot of people and had to be very social was more challenging than normal and it really wore me out. It’s also interesting because some people know who i am. I’ve said some dumb things to people recognizing me and it’s easy to feel like a little dumb fish out of water, but thankfully I like myself a lot (I’m hilarious) and I’m pretty resilient. Kitty said sometimes she’d go home and cry and worry about things she’d done because she’s just little old stupid her and I swear  if that’s not so true. I was so happy to be alone in my car on the way home, and then I remembered that I used to call my mom on long Sunday drives home and that made me sad. I’m still over here feeling all the emotions. 

The girls and I prepped Super Bowl dinner when I got home and I remembered my one football platter. Most years I don’t remember, so we had to document it. 

We watched at papa’s house and my team won and Matt and papa’s didn’t so that was fun. We ate a lot of yummy food and it was a nice easy night. 

Monday was Valentine’s Day. Matt got me roses and delicious chocolates and I did our traditional last day of valentines scavenger hunt. The girls ran around as excited as they did when they were 5,6, and 8 and it was so cute. 

We got them a Bluetooth shower speaker because they’ve been asking to listen to music in the bathroom. It wasn’t the most exciting gift year, but I do think they’ll see the vision soon. 

Shot for nanny. I love these crazies. Also I thought I’d tamed my hair. 🤷‍♀️

Today I took D on a date. We tried the hottest new restaurant in Leonardtown (Noli’s) but needed a reservation, so then we tried Hong Kong Buffet because something she ate there with the Aina’s was “to die for!”, but they are closed Tuesday’s. So then we passed Wendy’s and Arbys and even Taco Bell/kfc, and went to McDonald’s.

We debriefed on goals and made thoughtful new ones. I heard the lowdown on everyone in the 4th grade realm. We clarified things and laughed. I love Delaney’s detailed descriptions of her days and even though I wish we were laughing over cannoli’s, it was still lovely. 

While we dated, Frankie cleaned papa’s apartment. She’s lucky she has so many easy ways to make money and he went very easy on her. When we picked her up they played on the treadmill and we oooohed and awwwww\’d. 

I had a presidency meeting where we talked women’s conference desserts for 30 minutes. Sometimes agreeing is hard, but we’re a good team and we figure it out. 

Tonight I was close to sleep and then convinced myself I was having a stroke. Lots of medical reading will do that to you, I guess? 🤷‍♀️ my sleep is still a mess, obvi, but I’m committed to healing. Healing, incidentally, is my word for 2022. I thought that meant more physical healing from this this surgery am then my deviated septum surgery, maybe friend relationships and my relationships with all sorts of things - food, travel, running. I know just choosing a word does not make things happen, but it kind of feels like I was asking for trouble with “healing.” 



1 comment:

Alecia said...

Wow! Congrats to Chris!