Saturday, March 7, 2015

Coming home

We decided to take it easy our last day in Vegas. Amy's flight left a few hours earlier than mine, so we were getting picked up at 12. We showered and did facials and grabbed lunch from our food court. 
It was such a fun and relaxing trip. No fights, no stress, no trying to cram things in, and we did every last thing on our list. Cause facials were last. (:
They had this Blue Man display set up in our hotel lobby, so we hung out with them for awhile too. (;
And then, it felt like I blinked, and Amy was getting on her plane. We both were sad to see our week end, but also not wanting to do anything else in Las Vegas. It's a very cool place, but with such a sad undertone, imho, and we were both ready to see our babes. 

I had been keeping my eye on a big winter storm that had been predicted for SoMd and not sure about my flight. But my flight left as planned and at 4:05 we lifted out of the Las Vegas sky. Bumpy flight wherein the flight attendants had to be told to sit down several times due to turbulence, but we landed at 11:30 and people clapped and cheered. 

It had snowed several inches (between 4-8) and getting the luggage off the plane was slow. I talked to Matt while I waited, and he checked the roads and we talked about what we should do. I had parked at a hotel and so the shuttle driver finally came and we slowly made our way back to the hotel. There were several others who'd changed travel plans and decided to stay at the hotel for the night. When we got to the hotel I walked over to check out my car and slid on the sidewalk. That's when Matt and I decided I should stay the night at the hotel and leave in the morning. It's so hard to know the right thing to do in those situations, but I think we made the right choice. My hotel room was skeazy, but I brushed my teeth and slept, and it was good enough for that. 

Then in the morning as i headed down to breakfast I made the mistake of making small talk with a nice gentleman who'd held the elevator for me. He had a large tattoo of a gun on his forearm, but you know, mistakes of our youth, right? I had told him I was driving down to st Marys county and wondered about the roads, but then he kept asking my plans and if I was going back to the hotel. I was so scared he's ask for a ride or something worse, and kicking myself for being friendly. Thankfully I was able to sneak out to my car when he went upstairs and no more from mr gun tattoo. I had to dig out my car first. 
Several inches of fresh, fluffy powder. I am so grateful for a garage!
I drove super slow the whole way home and it only took about 2 1/2 hours. The roads were totally fine, bare and wet, but I did see about 5 cars that had overturned or been left on the side of the road, and 1 plow that had overturned. 
The snow and ice is beautiful, but holy smokes, it's March!
Coming home to happy kids is the funnest thing. Delaney kept hugging me and saying "I really, really missed you!" And "I love you so, so much!" 

And this one? He went to the swap meet and bought some knives. "For the coconuts," - as Frankie informed me. 
Matt left for work shortly after I got home and we took it supah easy the rest of the day. Pretty sure laney has pink eye now too. :/
But Laura had invited us to dinner to see Kt and I warned her about the eyes beforehand and she said to come anyway. It was so fun to visit with this fresh new returned missionary! She's so grown up and cute. (: it'll be so fun to see how she grows and changes these next few weeks. 
Utzingers came over for awhile and we all visited until Matt reminded us that it is his navy weekend and we headed home. its good to be home. (:

No comments: