Thursday, October 16, 2008

Why it's been awhile

My ever so eloquent but straight to the point brother-in-law Mike was expounding on his theory of blogs to me one day shortly after I started my blog. He said that while he likes them, they can sometimes go one of two ways. They usually get either too show-offey or too compainey. He didn't say it in those exact words, but that's what I took from the conversation.

So I've always kept that in the back of my head. Yes, Mike, your words have touched me deeply. I always try to think, am I trying to brag? I don't feel like I ever do that, I'm okay on that I think to myself. Am I complaining too much? Ahhh, there it is. My nemesis. Complaining.

Lately I have felt an awful lot like complaining. So I haven't blogged. But as I was lying awake last night from 2:30 on (you might have noticed me checking your blogs, sending emails, and facebooking in the wee hours of the morning) I was thinking, yes this time is stressful, but there are also a lot of good things going on.

So here I am attempting to accentuate the positive. I have gotten to spend sooo much time with my children! What other time in the last few years, and in the years to come, will I have them totally, undivided attention and all? The past week and a half it has been just the five of us. All day long, except for Matt when he's at work. And while that has it's moments, it has also been really fun. We've talked so much more than we usually do, just because we've spent so much more time together than we usually do. Every night when the five of us go to bed in the same room, I think "Someday when they are all grown up and out of the house, I'm gonna look back at this time fondly."

I'm gonna think about how crazy we were, packing up and switching hotels every night in a (successful) attempt to gain free nights at Comfort Suites. You see my friends, Matt and I should have been born in the depression. We are penny pinchers. Turns out Comfort Suites are having a special where every third night you stay at a different hotel, you get a free night. So my super frugal hubby and I are milking it and switching back and forth between hotels here. Hey man, thats five free nights!

I'm gonna think about all the homes we looked at and how the kids ran from room to room, "calling" which room they wanted, telling me how we should or should not get each house. I'll fondly remember how I taught them not to say "We should buy that house!" but to say "That looks like it would be a nice house to live in." And how Addison cried and cried as we drove all around Sacramento with our very distinguished older gentleman realtor. How I apologized to him and asked him in a hopefully sympathetic way if he had any children. And then I'll look bask in the memory of how he told me no, he didn't have any children. Awkward is an understatement on those drives. But someday I'll look back and laugh.

So, the point of this blog is that I'm off of my blogging hiatus. I feel that I can blog again without being a totally complaining nelly. I think... but keep me in check, -k-? A girls gotta have some checks and balances ya know!

I love these kids!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay...what? I'm so confused about the hotel/free night thing. They give you free nights for staying at other hotels?? I don't get it...

matt and michelle ray said...

Free nights for booking at different hotels within the Choice Hotel family. So we're back and forth between Comfort Suites between two cities. The things we do for money...

Anonymous said...

Ah, the Proverbial Apple doesn't fall far from the tree, does it. I am SOOOO proud of my frugal (read: cheap) daughter and her equally frugal hubbie.

You guys rock.

And to further prove that the Ol' Apple didn't fall too far from the Grand Ol' Tree, you go and walk into a door frame, leading, naturally, with your nose.

Be careful because, and I say this with all the love a father can have for his daughter and I understand how disturbing this comment can be to any child of mine, you're acting more and more like me everyday.

Lotsa Love

matt and michelle ray said...

Yikes!!!

Holly said...

Darn Michelle, Watch where you are going please. I can't worry about you ALL the time. Hotel hopping is such a fun thing, don't ya think?

Dyer Family said...

Its good to complain every now and then...makes the rest of us feel good!:) Hope you get settled into a home soon, long stints in a hotel are no fun!

Sara said...

I agree somewhat with Mike. However, this is a personal space. If you want to rant, then rant. If I called you up, would you rant? I think it's no different than on here, but I get to hear about it and so does everyone else. It's like one big conference call. Same think as if you are going to brag about your kids. Like Mike has never bragged about his little one? Maybe not on a forum like this, but I'm sure people have had to listen to him whether they wanted to or not. On this one... you can choose to not come and read. I think it's fun to hear about life from my friends and family. So if you don't like rants, don't tune into my blog on the 21st. That's going to be one hell of a rant. hmmm, this sounds like a rant... sort of... heh, sorry!

I miss you!

Robyn Cheney said...

You know... I think a little complaining now and then is perfectly acceptable. We are here to help each other and boost each other up when needed, but how would we know that you need boosting, when you are 2000 miles away, unless you put in a little word of complaint.
Oh and a side note, I think that Addie reminds me of matt in this picture! I have no idea why and i know it has been over a year since we have seen you but there it is.
Love ya, and I hope you find what you are looking for, in housing.