Thursday, October 16, 2008

Discrimination and blond moments...

Good thing I have calmed down over the past few hours because if I would have had a computer nearby oh so help me!!! Picture smoke coming out of my ears. I was livid! Fit to be tied! Madder than a wet hen! My blood was boiling! You get the point, I was pretty t.o.'d!

I have been discriminated against. No, not because of my feminine wiles either, even though I could understand that since I'm pretty feminine with tons of wiles. No, no, I was discriminated against because of my children. My three beautiful, calm, ever so sweet children (picture me trying to type that with a totally straight face).

Yesterday we went to look at a house that was for rent by owner. We'll call it Property A.

Sidenote: Oh yeah, we decided to rent, again. First we were gonna buy, then rent, then buy, and so on a couple more times. This week, at least yesterday and today, we decided to rent.

ANYWAYS, the house was interesting, nothing we would ever buy, but we thought it would be fun to rent for a year. I liked it but still wasn't one hundred percent on it so I was trying to set up a showing of some other homes in the same neighborhood. After a long day of not being able to get ahold of the other property manager I decided to call the landlord of property A with a question about the very steep driveway.

Here's how it went down.

"Hi, I saw your house yesterday, is it still available?" - I asked this because she said that someone was very interested and might put in an application but they hadn't decided yet.

"Well yes, sort of. We've talked about things and we just don't think we want to rent to you because of the three children. You understand right?" said Property A owner. I must call her that because if I called her something else I wouldn't want small children to read it.

WHAT THE?! You won't rent to me because I have three children? She advertised on a Military website and she mentioned in her ad that they have very good schools in the area, doesn't that imply that children are okay? When we looked into renting our home, I took the time to read about discrimination and what we could base our decision to rent our home on. She, apparently did not. Here's what I found out during my 5 minute search of California law:

Under California law, it is unlawful for a landlord, managing agent, real estate broker, or salesperson to discriminate against a person or harass a person because of the person's race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or medical conditions related to them, as well as gender and perception of gender), sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, ancestry, familial status, source of income, or disability 32.


If I was a different type of person I would file a lawsuit. Just the principle of the thing! But, I'm not. I believe in forgiveness. So I guess I forgive Landlord A for judging me and my children. Just hope I don't ever run into her on the street...

Okay, enough of that. How about my latest dumb blond moment. The other day the kids and I were getting ready to eat our VERY healthy McDonalds lunch and they wanted to play in the Play area, which I was all for (even though they're probably a wee bit too big) because we were on our way to look at houses. Anyways, I had my head down, no doubt multi-tasking with my purse, phone, diaper bag, big mac, insert item of choice here. Anyways, I was distracted and picked my head up to go through the door to the play area when, BAM! Hit my nose on the frame of the door! So hard! I'm talking stumble back wondering what the crap happened hard. Eyes watering and wishing I wasn't a grown woman at a crowded McDonalds so I could cry hard.

Luckily neither of the children saw my move. I wasn't brave enough to look around and see if any of the patrons were staring at me, although I'm sure they were because I kept saying to the kids "Oh my gosh, did you see what I just did?!", "Guys, did you see what happened?," "I think I broke my nose!" How red is my nose?!" Guys, did you see?" Now I have a lovely HUGE and very pink bump on my nose which probably resembles a huge pimple. I don't know whats worse, ginormous zit or lump on my nose from being an idiot. This morning after I ended my blog hiatus I decided to let Christian take a picture to post. Then I noticed that the redness has gone down a ton, but here you go. In all my glory.

1 comment:

Sara said...

I'm sorry, that is so funny! I totally would do something like that. Also, you're a better woman than me, I would have given her hell about the housing. So renting? or since this post have you decided to buy? ;)