Thursday, April 7, 2022

Everything’s bigger

We woke up early Thursday morning to make it to our 8:00 session at the Dallas temple. Matt drove through the city traffic beautifully.

Another tender miracle there (🌟). It’s been over a year since we’d been and it felt so amazing to spend time in that holy house. We walked around looking at sealing rooms and chatted with a few of the volunteers before we left. 

Then we spent some time walking the grounds outside. 

It was another surprisingly chilly day, I guess that’s Spring for ya. 

So grateful for a hubby that supports my wild ideas. I was so happy to see a new to me temple. 

After this we climbed in the back of big sunshine and changed into our road warrior gear. 

We stopped at a Choice hotel so Matt could use their internet to do some work, then hit up Buc-cee’s for gas and fun. I got Frankie and Delaney souvenirs and snacks to bring home, then got Matt and I fun drinks, a bbq brisket sandwich, and a delish jalepno cheddar kolache, which I’d never heard of but read it’s the thing to get. So glad we got to stop and shop, it reaffirmed that Dallas was the way to go. 

Simple and happy. 

The thing I was most excited about for our trip was to make it to one of my last 4 states - Arkansas. 

I’d never been, and it did not disappoint!

As much as I love pulling over on the freeway for a good “Welcome to…” sign, I also really appreciate a state with a welcome center. 

This one was awesome! The lady that worked there hooked us up with postcards, stickers, and pins for our first time through The Natural State. 

First stop, a town called Hope and a quick stop at Clinton’s childhood home for my dad. 😉 There was another, bigger Clinton home that we passed up for this little guy, and we were ok with our decision. 

On the road again 🎶. 

Our one Arkansas plan was to check out Hot Springs. Matt took me to a natural (read muddy and stinky with questionable characters) hot spring when we were dating, then to a hot spring resort on our honeymoon, so we have a history. This place was so cool! They have fountains like this set up downtown and locals bring bags full of big water bottles with them to fill up their water for free. It comes out hot, like hot tea temperature, but it’s seriously good water. 

We walked around the downtown and enjoyed the many fountains. 

Then we checked out the promenade. Behind the row of bath houses on Main Street there is a huge building that used to be a rehabilitation center, and in front of it is this pretty promenade. 

And then natural hot springs all around. Just hot, steamy water trickling downhill. 

And into steamy pools. Idk if they treat this water or if all the minerals keep it clean and clear, but the whole place was beautiful, and importantly, not sulphur stinky. 

We decided we wanted to come back in the morning for a soak in one of the bath houses, and since the sun was starting to go down, we went ahead and called it a day. We did some laundry and watched the new West Side Story. I had seen bits of it at my moms last month, but never the whole thing. Just why? Why? It is so sad and pointless and blah. The music and dancing were fun, but daaaaang. I don’t need sad movies right now. Other than the downer movie, it was an amazing day. Would recommend Hot Springs 10/10. 



No comments: