Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Clovis

Wide open spaces on our way up to Clovis, NM. I put in an online order for a Bahama Rama Mama from Bahama Bucks and we rolled up there at 9:00 exactly as they were locking their doors (🌟). Sugar cookie and mango was so delicious and I was so happy we made it just in time. 

We ate our free hotel brekkie and headed to see our old house. Our first home together and it was a happy one!

We went by the college where Matt worked and found Adi a cool Clovis sweatshirt. 

One thing you should know about Clovis is that there are millions of prairie dogs. They’ll just stand like this in the middle of the road. 🙄👎🏼 Irl they’re annoying, but this guy was cute though. 

We had somehow missed the welcome to New Mexico sign after Edge of Texas, so Matt drove me out and we found the janky-iest one ever! 😂

It was kind of perfect, so of course I hugged it. It reminded me of the lighthouse I hugged that smelled like urine, but I was already in too deep, soooo. 

Hello Matts finger. 

Because Texico is an awesome name, there’s a Texico, NM and a Texico, TX. Awesomeness abounds. 

It was still so windy and so chilly!

Running all around, back and forth across the streets in beautiful Texico is totally normal, be cool. 

The beautiful high plains of New Mexico. Our 4000ft elevation home for 2 years.  

Matt wanted to hike the Caprock about an hour outside of town. 

Only, it’s changed in the 13 years we’ve been gone and we couldn’t find the amphitheater, so a lot of our trail looked like this. I can be adventurous, but I really didn’t want either of us to fall down the gorge. 

We hiked down, down, all around, then back up what felt like a steep cliff (I had to get a hand to the bum for support) and boom, there was big sunshine, our truck. 

Matt helped himself to some rocks for Adi-Sox. 
We’d hoped to final another spot to hike, but no luck. 

Then we were off to Amarillo by morning, and if you think I didn’t play and sing that every chance I got, you’d be wrong.  I was insufferable about every county song reference and I’m not sorry. Honestly, he deserves it. 

We drove on Route 66 for awhile. And those clouds (🌟). 

Since it’s right off the freeway I took Matt to see the painted Cadillacs at Cadillac Ranch. 

Still. So. Windy. 

We grabbed a late lunch at The Big Texan. They had a singer taking requests and Matt requested and was serenaded with a Michael Martin Murphy song. 

After lunch we walked around and Pappy had to get a picture with his machine. 😂 Pappy and Mimi, it’s so good. 😂

This is why I always wear sunglasses. 😂

We’d only lightly planned our route. Matt definitely wanted to go through Clovis, and then we figured we’d go through Oklahoma City. Things had been so busy leading up to our trip that I hadn’t given it much thought. But when I thought about going through OK City I remembered that they have a temple and my mind was made up, we had to go. Then I told Matt about Buc-cee’s and how we had to check one out, and I got to thinking that I’d never been to the Dallas temple, and that route would also allow us a Buc-cee’s stop. It took a little convincing, but Matt came around. I drove Big Sunshine as we left Amarillo and all the way into Dallas. Matt navigated us to a Target where we arrived at 9:45 before their 10:00 closing and we were able to quickly find outfits to wear to the temple the next morning (🌟). The Dallas temple also had appts every hour and available slots for each time (🌟).  

We listened to a few podcasts we both like, but we really just spent our time talking about everything under the sun. It was so good for our relationship to get days and days to focus on only each other. We missed each other when we got back home and he had to go back to work. Happy days and bonding is for sure another 🌟. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a great trip!!