Wednesday, May 5, 2021

And the Army goes rolling along

Last Monday we dropped bubba off for his 10 day quarantine before basic training. Everyone met over here and we took some pictures before we left.  

They already miss their bubba. 

While I was getting ready my dad took some shots of Frenchie. 

This girl is awesome. 

And I love my dads new screen saver. 

Our first stop on our drop off tour was to see his recruiter. He had nothing but nice things to say about our boy. He took pictures and gave us some Army swag. 

On our way to Baltimore we grabbed lunch at Chick-fil-A. Christian had to check in at 3:30, so we hung out outside and watched all the recruits going in to begin their new lives. We saw some goodbyes and noted how sometimes the recruits went in alone and sometimes mom or dad walked in with them. After about an hour he was done checking in and we had till 9:30 to hang out. We decided to walk around the Inner Harbor to kill some time. 

It’s so beautiful down there and it was such a pretty night. A tad cool, so I borrowed my dads jacket, but overall just an awesome night. We decided on Cheesecake Factory for dinner, and it looked super dead, so I figured there’d be no problem. But then, duh, duh, duuuuh. They had a 45 minute wait. I am still scratching my head at that one and sad we missed out on one of my favorite restaurants. We ended up with Shake Shack, which is another favorite so it ended up working out. And then it was time to take bubba back to the hotel. 

We hung out in their nice lobby near the fireplace and visited until it was almost time for him to go. Papa said goodbye first. 

Then me. I gave him a hug and we both cried. I love this boy and wish he knew his worth. He’s always lacked some confidence, and it makes me sad. He’s such a good guy, generous and kind and he wants to serve. We’re so proud of him. 

We took a few more pictures and then I left for he and Jeanne to say goodbye. 

I went outside and sat on the bench and had a good little cry. And then I was done. He’s wanted this for so long and it really is time for him to move on and start a career. He’ll be amazing and it’s hard to be sad over a good thing. And then Chris and Jeanne came back out! But by that point I was ok. He walked us to our car and we said goodbye again. 

Then Jeanne got to drive an hour and a half with her boyfriends mom and grandpa. Lucky her! It actually went by really fast and we happily chatted the whole way home. The next day we got to watch him be sworn in again. He was able to enlist as en E3 because of his Eagle Scout award. He’s welcome.  

We talked to him Tuesday but then didn’t hear from him again till Sunday. We’d hoped he’d have his phone during quarantine, but sadly he didn’t. 

The girls have been making fancy ice with flavors and food coloring. 

Emmett got to paint one day. Cutest artist. 

I got to take the girls to see Breighanna play softball. I love baseball and the girls are sweet and fun, so we had a good night. 

Matt and I ran the photo booth and Brian’s couples shower on Friday. We never did get a picture together so that was dumb, but we had a good time. We stayed in our little photo booth room right at the front of the building, and watched all the mingling and small talk. I was feeling like I haven’t missed that. Our little room where people had to come to us and we perfect and we got to visit with lots of friends. 



This is the best meme I’ve seen in awhile. 😂

We got to FaceTime with Christian on Sunday. We had to leave SS early but it was totally worth it. He cried at first and my momma heart broke. He said how much he misses us and that was so sweet. This boy put us through the ringer in middle school and I wondered if he’d ever be sweet again, but I had nothing to worry about. He’s awesome. 

Cade and Lexi got to join in and I forgot to have everyone pose for a picture, but here we are. He goes to bed at 8, wakes up at 3, and is bored out of his mind. He’s so ready to start actually training, which should be happening today, incidentally. We love and miss him and can’t wait to get to talk to him again. 

Adi got a bee sting on her palm on Saturday. She was reading in the grass and put her hand down and got stung. It didn’t start to swell till Sunday morning, just like last time. Poor girl. 

Sunday evening we met up at the wharf for a photo shoot. Adi got this pretty shot. 

Papa was the official photog and Matt came along for moral support. 

Chelsea had been talking about making these cute shirts for months and finally did it. 

She asked us to model with all our awesome girls and we were only too happy to oblige. 

So impressed and proud of these strong, brave, kind, and compassionate girls. I’m lucky to be their mom. 

The littler girls assured each other that all the moms are vaccinated and it was all ok. 

You can just feel the trouble. 

Adi has been holding her hand like this since Sunday. I’ve been peeling all her oranges and tying all her shoes since. 

By Tuesday after we’d tried all the home remedies we could find and consulted with aunt Sara and tried all her nurse remedies, I finally took her to the dr. 

She was impressed with all we’d done and with the still swollen Adi hand. She gave us a prescription for prednisone (Adi has been loving telling people she’s on steroids), an epi pen (just in case), and a referral to an allergist. 

We’re on day 2 on the roids and while her hand looks better, it’s not as good as I’d have hoped. Praying tomorrow she wakes up with a normal hand!

Tonight’s blogging brought to you by church activity driving. I always appreciated any time the big kids got rides to church and now it’s my turn. We’ve got only big kids now and I’m happy to drive the jolly green giant to bless other families like we were blessed. 

No comments: